• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I have mild Crohn's, so what now?

Went to the GI doctor, said I have mild Crohn's. Who knows how long I've been walking around with this, but I have it. I have an inflamed and ulcerated colon. I'm taking a short burst of Prednisone, tapering off down to zero to get the inflammation down. Following a Paleo diet to eleminate inflamatory foods. Nothing to indicate surgery is needed.
So, that's my routine so far. I'm still a little nervous, even thought it's "mild" I'm mildly inflamming and ulcerating my colon. Don't want to lost that thing if I can help it. Can I heal my ulcers and save my colon?
Any other good things I should be doing?

Hi I was also dx with mild Crohn's in Jan. Firstly dx with uc in 2007. I started Pentasa 2 months ago but it does help but not entirely. I am also worried for my colon, I have ulcers on ileocecal valve. I am terrified it will just get severe one day. This Site is very helpful and lots to read and learn.

First, just from my own experience, I really think the classification of Crohn's into "mild", "moderate" and "severe" makes no sense - especially if doctors basically say not to do anything if you just have a mild form of Crohn's.

At the end it depends whether you have any symptoms (pain, diarrhea, *gurrgeling* in your stomach, gasing etc.). If you are absolutely comfortable and you don't notice anything plus there just isn't any inflammation visible, then I wouldn't do anything. But in most cases that's just not the case.

Having said that, if you have symptoms and they are either persisting or coming regularly, I would talk with your GI about long-term treatment to get you into deep remission in order to have no inflammation at all. I was on 5-Asa for 4 years and had been diagnosed with mild Crohn's in 1999 - unfortunately 5-Asa works only for a small set of Crohn's patients (it mostly helps for UC patients) and that meant that my symptoms and inflammation level constantly grew which led to scaring and two strictures that had to be removed surgically from the smaller intestine. Having said that, your GI should walk you through all long term drug options. Of course if you currently have no symptoms at all, you might refrain from taking any drugs if you can just manage with a good diet, sport, vitamin therapy etc. But if you got symptoms and the inflammation level isn't going down you might want to preemptively go for long term treatment e.g. with azathioprine or 6mp in addition to that, just in order to avoid scaring from inflammation.

I agree with Alex Chris that it is important to consider taking Crohn's medicines. The Prednisone will help you short term but the inflammation will only keep coming back without medicine. If you want to start off easy, try asking for a 5 ASA medication like Delzicol, Aprisio or Lialda. If that alone does not work, then you might want to try an immunosuppressant, like Imuran or 6mp.

Make sure that you are taking a good multivitamin and take a Vitamin D supplement. I personally take a 1000 mg pill but you could first get your blood tested to determine how much Vitamin D you need.

Take note and keep track of any foods that bother you and make it worse so that you know what to avoid.

When I was diagnosed with Crohn's two years ago, I was not having any symptoms except for some stomach pain. I was having blood in my BM's but it was because of a fissure. My Doctor told me that I was a "mild" case despite having perianal fistulas and what not.

Two years later, I work out, eat (relatively) well, but two weeks ago my diagnosis was upgraded to moderate/severe. I am now on Pentasa and Prednisone, and I wish I couldn't have let it go for so long thinking that I was just a "mild" case. Honestly, monitor your symptoms. If you feel it getting worse, talk with your GI Doctor. That's my best advice that I can give.

Well, thanks for the responses. Since I gave up grains, I feel great. Hopefully the Prednisone is working also.
I do want this inflammation gone though. I say keep trying these measures, then take another look to see how the inflammation looks. Another colonoscopy, yeah me! :/

If no improvement, I probably should look at longer term drug therapy, along with diet.

There is no need for another colonoscopy shortly after you just had one. A blood test can determine whether there is inflammation (inflammation markers as CRP, although that isn't absolutely reliable). In any event, if symptoms continue you know that there is inflammation and that should be your signal that you should go for long term drug treatment. I would still discuss this earlier rather than later with your GI. Yes, drugs can have side effects, but keeping you in remission is more important... Constant inflammation leads to scaring which down the line lead to strictures, fistulas etc.

I agree with the others, I would at least have a plan in place. I mean altering your diet is great, it does help a lot of people with this disease. But you and your doctor should have a plan at least to prevent any damage from happening.

Oh, also Do NOT get another colonoscopy if you just had one. Those are NOT good to keep doing, especially if you just had one. You do not need to alter your gut flora anymore. I would work on a plan with your GI to keep things under control to prevent any future damage.

Well, thanks for the responses. Since I gave up grains, I feel great. Hopefully the Prednisone is working also.
I do want this inflammation gone though. I say keep trying these measures, then take another look to see how the inflammation looks. Another colonoscopy, yeah me! :/

If no improvement, I probably should look at longer term drug therapy, along with diet.

I also have mild Crohn's and there are several options for long-term treatment that can be really effective if you can find one that works for you. Pentasa generally has been good for keeping me in remission, once the steroids get the inflammation under control. But do a lot of research, too, so you can be really informed about the disease - especially when it's mild, sometimes flares can catch you a little off guard, just speaking from experience.