• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I have searched everywhere

Hi all I have searched everywhere and can’t find it. Someone had link on here that compared the different biologics, there effectiveness and side effects. Please help me find it.

my little penguin

Staff member
Summary
Background
Data are needed to inform the positioning of biologic therapy in the treatment of moderate-to-severe Crohn's disease, both first line and after previous biologic exposure. We aimed to assess the comparative efficacy and safety of biologics in patients with Crohn's disease.
Methods
We did a systematic review and network meta-analysis of phase 2 and phase 3 randomised controlled trials done in adults (≥18 years) with moderate-to-severe Crohn's disease (Crohn's Disease Activity Index [CDAI] 220–450) treated with tumour necrosis factor (TNF) antagonists, anti-integrin, anti-interleukin (IL)-12 and IL-23p40, or anti-IL23p19 agents, either alone or in combination with immunosuppressants, as their first-line biologic or after previous biologic exposure, compared with placebo or an active comparator. The minimum duration of therapy was 14 days for trials reporting induction of remission in active disease and 22 weeks in trials reporting maintenance of remission. We searched Medline, EMBASE, the Cochrane CENTRAL Register of Controlled Trials, conference proceedings, trial registries, and unpublished data from inception to June 3, 2021, without any language restrictions. Summary estimates of the primary and secondary outcomes were extracted from the published reports; individual patient-level data were not sought. The primary endpoint was induction of clinical remission in patients with active disease (CDAI <150) and maintenance of remission in patients with response to induction therapy, with data extracted from published reports. A network meta-analysis with multivariate consistency model random-effects meta-regression was done, with rankings based on surface under the cumulative ranking curve (SUCRA) values.
Findings
The search strategy yielded 18 382 citations, of which 31 trials were eligible for inclusion. On the basis of 15 randomised controlled trials including 2931 biologic-naive patients, infliximab monotherapy (odds ratio [OR] 4·53 [95% CI 1·49–13·79]), infliximab combined with azathioprine (7·49 [2·04–27·49]), adalimumab (3·01 [1·25–7·27]), and ustekinumab (2·63 [1·10–6·28]) were associated with significantly higher odds of inducing remission compared to certolizumab pegol (all moderate confidence); infliximab and azathioprine combination therapy was also associated with significantly higher odds of inducing remission than vedolizumab (3·76 [1·01–14·03]; low confidence). On the basis of ten randomised controlled trials including 2479 patients with previous biologic exposure, adalimumab after loss of response to infliximab (OR 2·82 [95% CI 1·20–6·62]; low confidence), and risankizumab (2·10 [1·12–3·92]; moderate confidence), were associated with higher odds of inducing remission than vedolizumab. No differences between active interventions were observed in maintenance trials. Most trials were at low or uncertain risk of bias.
Interpretation
Although biologic treatment choices in patients with moderate-to-severe Crohn's disease must be individualised for each patient, this analysis suggests that either infliximab with azathioprine or adalimumab might be preferred as a first-line therapy, and adalimumab (after infliximab loss of response) or risankizumab might be preferred as a second-line therapy, for induction of clinical remission.
Funding
From

my little penguin

Staff member

my little penguin

Staff member

Contents
Accessing resources off campus can be a challenge. Lean Library can solve it

Explore More
Download PDF
Open EPUB
Head-to-head comparison of biological drugs for inflammatory bowel disease: from randomized controlled trials to real-world experience

Show all authors
Fabio Salvatore Macaluso, Marcello Maida, Mauro Grova, ...
First Published May 3, 2021 Review Article Find in PubMed
https://doi.org/10.1177/17562848211010668
Article Information
Open epub for Head-to-head comparison of biological drugs for inflammatory bowel disease: from randomized controlled trials to real-world experience

Sorry none of those are it. The link it went to the page was green and listed all the biologics and which disease they treated best between crohn’s or UC. And the side effects