• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I just found I have crohns... What do I do?

A little over a year ago. I started getting sick with different things. Kidney stones and gallstones. I had surgery to take out my gallbladder. I lost 20 pounds with my gallstones. After the surgery. I had the dump syndrome and normal after effects of the surgery. I never got better. I was just getting worse. Diearria, vomiting, nausea. I could not eat without being in pain. I still can't. I lost another 30 pounds. From 180 to 116 pounds I lost a little over 50 pounds all together. In about 5 months. I found out I have crohns back in June of this year 2012. Right after my wedding of all things. It is in my small intestine so my doctor said he could only treat it and hope it gets better. I have know idea what I'm doing and can barely eat or drink anything. HELP!!!!

Veronica,
Hi and welcome to the community.
What meds are you currently on? Is there a treatment plan in place? How are you feeling, are you experiencing any pain and is it being controlled?
I know for the first 5 months i was on an all liquid diet, couldn't manage to eat, let alone look at food. Dropped from 132 to 87 pounds in 2 days...ugh. But, there is help. It gets better as time goes on. I have moved on to rice, mashed taters and oatmeal. It is somewhat trial and error of what works for you to eat. It doesn't hurt to supplement at least once a day with ensure/boost, such as i still have to do. I was diagnosed in May and have finally stabilized at 97 pounds. It's not easy to keep the wight on, but you'll get there. Keep your head up and stay strong.
The best help is support- the forum, family and friends. Feel free to have a look around.
I would suggest keeping a food diary, as you will become familiar with what you can/can't tolerate; thus, being able to eat and gain some of that weight back hopefully.
There are outstanding people on here to offer advice, share experiences, cry with you, guide you, offer support and laugh with you!
Best wishes. Stay strong.
Again, welcome- hope to see you around. -hugs-

So sorry to hear about all that you have been through. Hopefully you have a good GI doctor who will guide you through the treatments that will work best for you.
My daughter was diagnosed with Crohns this year also.
You will find the right foods that work for you. I am sure you have already eliminated seeds, popcorn, spicy foods and possibly lactose. No ibuprofen, aspirin or Aleve either.
Peppermint tea and chamomile tea can help.
Keep us informed of how you are doing.

my little penguin

Staff member
Hugs...
DS was dx last year at age 7.
As far as weight have you tried a supplement
Peptamen or peptide are semi elemental
Easy for your gut ( peptide formula broken down ) so only a few inches of healthy intestine is needed .
DS did this for 9 weeks to promote healing and gain weight.
He now drinks half dose daily to maintain his weight plus other meds.
Your GI can prescribe the formula or you can order it directly .

http://abbottnutrition.com/our-products/abbott-brands.aspx?s=6

http://www.nestlenutritionstore.com...OCODE=PDSS10&gclid=CMq8z8vbuLQCFQSg4Aod4iIAWQ

Welcome