• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I just need to tell someone

I was dx'd with Crohn's Colitis in Sept 13 after years of catching every "stomach bug" that came around. I was on Imuran, but weaned myself about 2yrs ago. I've done pretty well - until now. I have a scope scheduled for 4/29 but I'm not sure I can wait.
My symptoms: upper right abdominal pain - it's a dull, pulling kind of pain & almost feels close to the surface. A heating pad is all that helps.
I have constipation (up to 6 days regardless of what I take) followed by frequent bm's (sometimes 6 or more solid stools in a day). The feeling of urgency is so bad I think I won't make it to a restroom, then - nothing. Even after I do go, the feeling of needing to go never goes away.
My upper abdomen swells so bad I can hardly stand it, but it goes away on its own.
I'm having some blood in stools (I think from straining), but not a lot. And sometimes it's just blood, no stools.
I have joint pain that's so bad that some days even walking hurts.
I have overwhelming fatigue that no amount of rest, sleep or anything else helps.
My vision is noticeably worse, but that could also be related to needing a new pair of glasses.
ALOT of GERD & chest pains that often wake me at night leading me to believe I'm seriously about to go see Jesus.

I feel like a hypochondriac. I haven't shared much of this with many because nobody will listen. I'm a nurse, I'm not married & I work 2 jobs to pay the bills and I just keep going. Thankfully & regretfully my son is 18yrs old and supports himself.

I guess what I need from you is.... At what point do YOU throw in the towel and say "enough is enough"?! Do I call my GI's office and discuss with his nurse, try to get an appt prior to scope or what? I have no fevers, the pain isn't unbearable (I have a high tolerance) I'm not vomiting, and although it's painful afterward, I can eat. I think an ER visit would be silly - I'm in no emergent danger. I guess I'll just tough it out for 25 more days and see what he says and hope it all improves. I feel like I'm dying. I have no quality of life. Days off are spent recouping & preparing for the next day of work. 😕

scottsma

ah Shelley,I really feel for you.It's bad enough being sick without trying to hold down a job.It sounds to me like you're in a full blown flare and you really need it under control.
It wouldn't hurt to phone your GI.s nurse and explain just how bad you're feeling.
Make a list of your symptoms,length and rough dates, for your GI visit.You don't want to forget anything.Can you take some sick leave so that you can be kind to yourself ?
Please keep us updated as your post will help people in the same situation.I hope you feel better soon.

I think I will call... Just to be safe. I see my GI at work often and I never call, I don't make frequent ER visits or anything. I've been awake since 7:30am & have already gone to the bathroom 4-5 times. I don't understand how I'm even producing that much solid stool!!🙈

That's a shame, I have had many years like that before I got op, I would agree it sounds like a flare up, ur doc could maybe give u a course of steroids to attack it directly until u can be seen or just push for sooner appt, get docs to do bloods to check Crp levels and if high they can push for emergency appt, try buscapan just now too xxx

Shelley, sounds like you should get in to your G.I. asap. It sounds like a very bad flare. Keep your appointment for your scope, but you need to see your G.I. before then.

You don't mention what you are eating. For me, diet is the key to pain management. I am slowly learning my triggers (just diagnosed and symptomatic for 6 months). Perhaps try some blander foods- chicken, fish, eggs etc. Those work for me, but everyone is different.