• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I just started taking Imuran and I feel funny....(not the laughing kind..)

Hi Everyone,
I was diagnosed with Crohn's Ilietis a year ago. I went undiagnosed for many years, and have deep ulcers. I have tried many medications such as prednisone when first diagnosed messavant and enticourt. Then changed to Pentasa and enticourt, then just enticourt. All helped for a while but then I started getting side effects. So I just started Imuran which is supposed to be an amazing drug (my sister has Crohn's too and has been taking this pill for 5 years successfully...since I started taking it my tummy cramps up every time I eat...my diarrheaha which after being back on prednisone had improved, now I am going a lot again. On top of that, I have been feeling speedy shaky and later very sleepy like Im drugged...I also have Non Active Hepatitis,
(40+years) and I have had some liver pain, on and off, never lasts for long but I am concerned..I understand sometimes you have to get used to a pill and the side effects could go away..Has anyone had these side effects when they first started Imuran? How long does it take for it to pass? Any advice would be appreciated..
My goodness! I've written a book! Sorry to take so much space, this is my first post, I just registered today!

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome. I started Imuran last may. I felt off for a few months. Felt like I had the flu, occasional pain and extreme fatigue. I've adjusted to it but still very fatigued (may not be med related). Keep your doctor posted on the side effects. My wrote an order for a scan if I felt a lot of pain. I was to go to the ER and get it don't. I believe the concern was pancreatitis.

Thank you so much for your response, glad to know I'm not alone..I will keep an eye on pain level for sure. Regarding Pancreatis, my sister had to come off Imuran because those levels went up, but it turns out they were up from gallstones! (who knew) a few weeks of normal blood levels allowed her to return to Imuran and she continues to have good levels...when I discussed my symptoms, she confessed she hadn't had any side effects at all...guess everyone's different...
Thanks again, take care:)