• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I like food

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
So I am adding this recipe in here. These "cookies" seem to make dealing with the D better. I will add things as I find more I like. If anyone has any ideas for something ask, I will figure out new stuff.

-- 2 cups of butter/ margarine (whatever it doesn't much matter, if you use butter, use the unsalted kind) Should be 4 sticks
-- 2 and 1/2 cups of Splenda
-- about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of brown sugar or Splenda brown sugar (for taste)
-- 6 to 7 tsp of vanilla extract
-- 1 cup of egg beaters (egg substitute, or 4 eggs)
-- 8 cups of flour (doesn't matter what kind of flour)
-- 2 tsp of baking soda (recipe calls for baking powder but I like it with soda. Its a little flatter)
-- 1 tsp of salt
-- 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
-- 2 - 6 tsp of cinnamon (depending on your like of cinnamon, I like cinnamon so....)
-- If you like it, mulling spice to taste. I like it so..... If you don't know where to buy it, my sister sells it through tastefully simple.

-Cream the butter (I just take two sticks and put them in the microwave for 30 secs, you don't want it melted just soft.) Use your regular mixing tools with a mixer to cream butter and add the rest of the ingredients until the flour.
-Add the Splenda, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda (or powder), salt, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix them till they are well mixed. Add the egg beaters (or eggs) a little at a time. About 3 or 4 times for the whole amount of eggs.
-Switch to dough hooks for dough, then start adding flour starting with 4 cups, after its mixed add the last 4 cups.
-Once its all mixed, It will be tacky. Spread flour out on a flat surface and then dump the whole thing out on it. Knead the dough slightly until its no longer tacky with flour. Split the dough into two separate "balls". I put them on plates covering each plate with plastic wrap. Pu them in the fridge for a while at least a hour or two. I usually leave them in overnight.

*Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees
*Take the dough "balls" out flatten them with a roller until they are about 1/8 in to 1/16 in thick. (Cookie thickness?? They don't rise much so.... yeah.)
*I use a glass cup to cut the cookies out. (You can use a cookie cutter) Take the left over and flatten it out again and repeat process till you have no dough left.
*Put each cut out cookie on a greased (I use Pam) cookie sheet and bake for 14-15 mins. Just keep checking them until the edges are a little golden brown.
*Put them on a wire rack to cool.

They are pretty good when you need something that won't upset your stomach. At least for me. Let me know if you have any questions. I've made them a lot so, I've improvised as time went on. I also have a fantastic chocolate chip cookie recipe that doesn't bug me either. And they are low sugar remember, I'm a diabetic. Enjoy!

Oh I would like to know if anyone tries them and what they think.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Woohoo Mike! Thanks for the recipe. Gonna make some tomorrow. I love pumkin pie spices and cinnamon. I will let you know how mine turn out!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
These type of cookies could the type that gets better with age. I gotta freeze mine or I will gain back all the weight I fought so hard to lose. :)

This recipe must make a huge batch! Sounds yum.

I don't know anything about a pumpkin shortage... I can still find canned pumpkin here. Odd...

You can only buy pumpkins over here in the stores when its in season around September-November. Therefore canned pumpkin is used most of the time.

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
It does make a huge batch but, I put them in a bag for a week or two they are fantastic. I've never had to throw them away however they never last that long for me.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Mike I know I was supposed to make some today but I opted to go outside on one of the warmest day on record... and you know what surfaces when snow melts and you own 3 dogs lol... I will try again on Tues. But I am scared like you I will eat them all and I can't do that lol.

I think there is a pumpkin shortage, I can't find any canned pumpkin either. I asked my supermarket when they were planning on getting more in and they said not until November! Which is a huge shame because I love love love pumpkin :(

oh to live in queensland,australia,the things we take for granted.pumpkin is something you grow in the back yard,or someone gives you ao you buy it from a road side stall for a dollar or 2,we like it roasted in the oven best mashed is always good as well with mashed potato,pumpkin soup and pumpkin scones but never pumpkin pie,i am assuming this is a sweet pie.pumpkin here is eaten as a vegie.lol karen

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Mike, I tried the cookies! Mine came out dry, probably too much flour, I did the half batch because I dont trust myself not to eat them in one shot lol. I wished I had some canned pumpkin to add to it but I didn't. I needed more cinnamon, and since Cinnamon is the new wave of natural foods that are good for you, I shoulda used the whole bottle ;) ..kidding. But they are good!

ahh ok.. well, this is a Crohn's Disease forum ;)

i'm not sure if you'll get the advice and support you need here, Patrick - have you looked around the net for a support forum for heart and cholesterol problem sufferers?

it may well be that some of our members do indeed have experience of these issues, but mainly our experience is with Crohn's Disease, Colitis, etc.