• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I LOVE Hot Dogs! (Any suggestions for a brand or type?)

So, I really love Hot Dogs.

I've read that beef or pork can be a problem for us with CD, but I had decided to try adding Hot Dogs to my list of tolerable or intolerable foods.

The brand I tried was Zweigle's Pop Open Hot Dogs, Natural Casing, Premium,Texas Brand (http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/s...toreId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=377195). This brand has a natural casing which when cooked can be kind of a tough skin so I was just peeling the skin off and eating the formed meat inside. The meat was very tender, not tough at all and I was able to eat them on potato rolls with ketchup and mustard.

I saw no ill effects from eating these but I wanted to hear from others who enjoy / tolerate hot dogs and see what brand or type you're eating.

I really tried to find Hartmann's Old World Sausage Beef Wiener (http://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/s...toreId=10052&catalogId=10002&productId=740224) because I thought they would be of high quality but was unable to find them.

These contained beef and pork and I'm wondering if an all beef hot dog would be better... or if someone knows a good brand of turkey or chicken dogs that aren't disgusting.

I stick with the old fashioned Oscar Mayer wieners.
They may sit with me okay, I'm not sure... I just look at the price, lol, and think that the fact they are cheap means they may not agree with me.

I'm not in remission, but I am improving. Still have D so I look for things that won't increase that, of course.

Maybe I'll try some. Only way to find out really.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I dunno, anything with the name "wiener" in it doesn't sound like they will agree with anyone. :p Whatever works though! :D

When at the health food store this morning saw turkey frank hot dogs made by Shelton's being sold. I picked up a packet. Figure they might be good for barbecuing over Memorial weekend.

I still love hotdogs myself, will eat almost any brand, cheap or not. But my favorite is Ekrich. I found that they taste great even just on a bun with no condiments...I only found this out because we forgot the condiments when we left for a fishing trip.

rygon

so what do you have with your hotdogs? just the normal onions and ketchup or does anyone else put other stuff on it

so what do you have with your hotdogs? just the normal onions and ketchup or does anyone else put other stuff on it

Well, if I am having a hotdog without chili, then it's ketchup, mustard, and if I have it, onion and relish. If it's a chili dog, then I only add mustard and onion. But, let me say, the Chicago dog at Sonic is AMAZING, lol!

Am unable to tolerate either pork or beef.
Have found two sausages-that work out okay
Chef Bruce aidells
all natural chicken and apple
smoked sausage
other product that can be tolerated
Johnsonville turkey sausage
both are a smoke link, each have a casing
that can be peeled away.
Meat product with in, is moist with a satisifying
taste.
Hope You, can found them in Your area
Good Luck, in Your search for good hot dogs
Sam416

Hebrew national Kosher hot dogs seem to be the easiest on my tum. Maybe it's because they have higher standards for processing/where the meat comes from, and may be a truer cut of meat, either way they are delicious and easy on the belly

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
If everything is around, I do mayo, ketchup, mustard, chili, onions, relish, cheese, sauerkraut and sometimes tomatoes if I'm in the mood. All on a toasted bun of course.

Think I'm gonna buy some hotdogs and fixings when I get paid. :D

Ravensfan88,
Whether it's hot dogs or lunch meat, I think processed meats without nitrates are better for you. I believe nitrates have been linked to cancer.

I buy uncured buffalo hot dogs and they are EXCELLENT!!! Being from Chicago, I've always been very picky about hotdogs. None ever measured up to the good ol' Vienna beef dogs. But these buffalo dogs are dannnnngggggg good! The only downside is they cost $11 for 8 of them.

My belly doesn't like beef or pork but my favorite hot dog alternative is smart dogs. They're vegan and quite yummy :) They're a good price and I can find them at most large grocery stores.

Hebrew national Kosher hot dogs seem to be the easiest on my tum. Maybe it's because they have higher standards for processing/where the meat comes from, and may be a truer cut of meat, either way they are delicious and easy on the belly
These are the best! They are more expensive but worth it.:sun:

I recently tried Nathan's All Beef Skinless Hot Dogs and although they were very tasty, it seemed to cause me some gut issues... I've also recently had trouble with a steak and hamburger, so I think I'm going to avoid beef until I'm in remission.

If it seems I can't tolerate that brand of BEEF hot dog, does this mean I should avoid every hot dog? Would a quality turkey dog be a viable substitute?

I'm just trying to figure out if the beef, brand of hot dog or just the type of food itself would be a "trigger" for me.