• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I love MRSA...ugh

So I've had two cases of MRSA the past several months: once in my nose and the other on my left but cheek. Well the other day I got some swelling and pain right near my ostomy bag, it's to the right of it by about two inches. This morning when I went to wash the area it popped and out came the puss and all sorts of grossness. I'm getting tired of this. Has anyone else had several cases of MRSA and how was it treated. I'm worried about it spreading to under my appliance or to my stoma. I hope everyone has a wonderful New Years. God bless

Jeff

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Jeff,

How did you resolve the other two infections?

Their are two main types of MRSA, hospital acquired and community acquired, and various strains.

Generally speaking hospital acquired MRSA is more difficult to treat as it has higher resistance and the choice of treatment is very limited. Community acquired generally responds to the non penicillin antibiotics. Treatment often requires higher doses of antibiotics and over a longer period of time than with non MRSA infections.

Obviously swabbing the pus and establishing which strain of MRSA you have would be the first step to treating it.

Staphylococcus is a bacteria we all carry and for many people the MRSA strain occurs naturally in the nose, throat and on the skin.

Dusty. xxx

Dusty, It must be community acquired as I haven't been treated in a hospital for a long time. I'm assuming that I am now a carrier of it as I've had so many frequent infections and so I'll be seeing a doctor about it tomorrow, if I can get in. I was given Bactrim for my first two infections and they went away within 7-10 days. I'm thinking now I'm going to need something stronger than Bactrim and maybe an antiseptic soap. Thanks

DustyKat

Super Moderator
It does sound like a community acquired strain. I hope you can get in to see the doc tomorrow and they put you on treatment for a decent length of time.

Good luck!

Dusty. xxx

Got nose cultures today and tons of antibiotics so its now going to be even longer that I can't take Cimzia. I can't wait to get rid of this staf infection that's been destroying me for 6 months now. Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers so I can get on with my Crohns treatment so I do not get back into a flare. I'm worried about the antibiotic because Bactrim has ripped up my stomach twice before and there is no way out of taking it. I hope everyone else has a great New Year. God bless

hi jeff,

I caught MRSA 2 years ago when I had an abdominal abscess (lovely side effect from CD) and my GI surgeon sent me to the ER for stat MRI. Couldn't believe how dirty the place was. Surgeon told me he had to open and drain the abscess but the ORs were tied up for several hours and that I could wait or have it done until local shots and IV dilaudid. I chose to do it on the spot, didn't want to wait. to make a long story short.. was admitted with an IV antibiotic, sent home 2 days later on oral antibiotic and packed dressing to the wound.

Well, I kept on getting infection after infection ranging from staph, strep, klepsiella, and MRSA. Then surgeon had to do another exploratory surgery above stoma as I wasn't healing. Then came the IV amphicillin and wound vac. yippee.(sarcasm) Wound vac did help within 2 months and it closed but the darn thing reopened AGAIN and I had to go to infectious disease MD. Put on antibiotics for over a year due to different infections and it wouldn't close all the way..would keep reopening.

Now, I've been using prisma and it's almost closed but I won't count on it. I'm a candidate for a free clinical trial with the prisma and e-stim around the area to help the blood flow near the wound so it will close. Tried e-stim before and it didn't work but with prisma, I am praying that this stupid thing will heal w/o me driving 1 1/2 hrs. both ways starting in the Spring.

My heart goes out to you. be sure to take probiotics with meals (it's good bacteria that you need as the antibiotics will kill them), eat first and then take the antibiotics that may help. if you are in pain, take your pain meds for as long as you're on the antibiotics. I am speaking from experience.

If the pain gets really bad from the antibiotics, just call the MD and he can switch it to something else. Drink drink drink (water not hooch lol), applesauce, bananas, toast, anything gentle to prevent the big "D". feel free to PM me if you need more help.

God bless you my friend.

Thanks so much for the advice! I'm so sorry that you are still fighting these infections I thought six months was bad. I don't have any pain meds but if the pain gets bad again then I will be calling my doctor again. Unfortunately I'm going back to seminary on Friday and will be in a silent retreat for all next week so it will be interesting to see how I do. I just want to get this thing taken care of.

God bless and I'll be praying for you!

Jeff