• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I missed my GI appointment

I thought my appt. was at 9am but it was at 7am so I didn't get to see my GI today. I am very upset with myself. I am in a flare right now and tapering off prednisone at 25mg as of now. I was in the hospital a month ago for this flare and this would have been the first time I would have seen my GI. I was hoping to start Humira . The next available appt. is the end of July. I just want to cry ! I feel awful all the time. My GI never gets back to me when I call and it's impossible to get in to see him.I have a question - Are all GI's like this ? When you are hospitalized does it take you a month or longer to get an appt with your GI ? When you call with new symptoms do they say they can see you in 6 weeks ? I feel like my flare is NOT undercontrol and my GI just doesn't care. A trip to the ER usually provides more answers than an appt. with my GI. I have tried to find a new doctor but am stuck with this guy due to my insurance. I pissed off at myself for having the appt. time wrong and fustrated that my GI can't take 5 min. to talk with me. :ymad:

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Sadly, it seems like there are a bunch of doctors like what you're describing. Sorry to hear that you're going through so much right now. :( What insurance are you on? I would think that there would be some sort of customer service that you could talk to for ideas as to getting a second opinion. Wish I had more ideas than this... Sending some hugs your way. :hug:

I'm sorry you are flaring and accidentally missed your appointment. It is so frustrating and I really pray you get some help soon-you deserve to be well!

It took me months to get INTO a GI, so I would think your assumptions are correct. Even as great and wonderful as my GI is, it still takes time to do much of anything and she is not super prompt because we are still finding out everything. Keep working at being your own advocate. IMO, they can get annoyed all they want, but I need help, so sorry if I am annoying. Keep pushing because you are the one who suffers, not them.

Lots of hugs and support to you! Prayers you get help and relief soon!!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Oh Zeppy :ghug: my heart goes out to you!

Not all GI’s are like this and I wish with all my heart that yours wasn’t. :(

My kids GI (he is an adult GI) is lovely. His IBD nurse always gets back to me within an hour or so when I ring or email and they both always emphasise to me to not hesitate to ring if I have any concerns and if need be they will fit us in the next day. The GI has also given me his mobile number.

Good luck Zeppy, I hope you are able to be seen much, much sooner. :heart:

Dusty. xxx

For me, it can take months to get an appointment with my GI, but I can liase over e-mail through an IBD nurse; like Dusty. :)

Generally I'm told that if my symptoms are severe to go to the ER or ask for a planned admittance if I can hold out a few days, and whilst I'm there I'll be able to talk with one of the GI's. I'm familiar with a few that work together in the same hospital, so it is really nice to get a second opinion too.

I guess they spend so much time working within hospitals that they need to put their outpatients on the back-burner, and give them more acute attention when they are actually there. It's not really ideal for us, but every GI I've had seems to be the same way sadly.

theOcean

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you. :( Especially when getting treated properly is so important right now. Are you able to ask to be put on a cancellation list?

I was so upset with myself for missing my appointment I called my primary care in tears today and he found me a new GI that just started taking my insurance ! I'm really hoping this GI will care more about my health concerns and take a more proactive approach to my treatment. Of course I have to wait for the referral to go through still and am not sure when I will get an appt. but am very optimistic about this new GI. Thank you all for your support I am very greatful for you all and this site. :ghug:

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you. :( Especially when getting treated properly is so important right now. Are you able to ask to be put on a cancellation list?
Yes they did but me on the cancellation list but hopefully I see this new GI instead ! :)

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Good luck!!! A suggestion is if you happen to have a smart phone to put the appointment into that under the date. That's what we do with our appointments. If you can do that, your phone will give you reminders of the appointment even up to the time of it...

UPDATE : I have an appointment with the new GI on June 25th at 10:15 am ( posting the time as a reminder to myself :lol: ) this is much sooner than my current GI has ever seen me ! I hope this is a good sign that this will be the GI for me !
I am soo happy you got an appointment!! With a new GI and a sooner one at that! Prayers for you for the relief you deserve at God's speed :) Best wishes!