• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I need advice---Military

Okay, so I swore into the Air Force Reserves in 2010. Shortly after I was diagnosed with Crohns Disease. My recruiter told me to go ahead and go to training and to not say anything about my disease. So, I got through the whole period of training...not very easily..but still got through it. I am three years in and and have never been in remission. My civilian Dr has added Imuran and Asacol to my Humira because of the fact that my Humira wasnt working properly by itself. I was was initially hospitalized for 2 weeks because of my extreme weight loss and dehydration from not being able to eat or drink anything because of the ulcers throughout my throat and esophagus. It took me years to get any type of attention from Drs. They all sent me home with some type of acid reducer or told me to just not drink any caffine. Finally, someone said "Okay, you have lost 20 lbs in 2 weeks...I'm going to admit you.." so then after countless drs trying to see what was wrong with me they decided to start me on Humira. I still have blood in my stool, rediculous cramps, and I go to the bathroom at least 20 times a day (on a good day). I am an extremely fit person, I eat really well, and I've made an excelent on every PT test I've taken for the AF. I am starting to get concerned lately about the urgencys that I have while runnning and doing certain weight training. Honestly, I feel like my rear is going to fall out of me. I think it is time to get out of the Air Force because of this and the fact that I cant take anymore breaks of my meds because of deployments and training.. That will just hurt me in the long run. Has anyone had any experience with this or know what I need to do to not get in trouble... I didnt falsly enlist... I was already sworn in before I got diagnosed... So..I need HELP PLEASE!

DJW

Forum Monitor
I have no word of advice but you are an inspiration. To go through military training while sick...wow. :)

DJW

Forum Monitor
I'm on Imuran and have been for a couple months. The first few days were rough but I adjusted. I hit the full dose a few weeks ago. I get some nausea and I'm pretty tired. Doctor checks my blood every week. My liver function is slightly elevated so I've had an ultra sound and waiting on an MRI. It's a powerful drug but I can not afford to have more surgery because I have very little bowel left. He's aggressively treating my aggressive crohns. I can take the side effects...much better than the effects of crohns. There is a treatment section on this forum. Let us know if you have more questions.

Best wishes