• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I really think its all in head

Have you ever thought it's all in your head? For the last few weeks I've been throwing up and I feel super nauseous all the time (I'm on daily TPN so im not concerned about nutrition). I just feel miserable. No sleep, not eating, not going out, called off work the last.couple of days. I have history if strictures and had my last surgery in march last year for a pyloric stricture. The surgeon essentially took my small bowel and reattached it.to a different opening he made in my stomach. The surgery never made me 100% but iwasnt like this. I don't know if im just in some weird sense of denial that I could be sick again? I honestly feel like im making myself nauseous. Im getting a prescription for an anti nauseous med today and I have a gastroscope scheduled for next tuesday. Guess that will shed some light on things :(

nogutsnoglory

I can see how people not getting it can make one question their sanity but that is so not a mental disease. These are clear signs of disease activity, not in one's head. If thinking about it could make it happen, every hypochondriac would have crohns.

SarahBear

Yes. 100% absolutely, yes. All testing I've had done in the past few years has revealed nothing, even when I was having the same symptoms (at the same severity) as when I was originally diagnosed. In addition to that, I was having a lot of symptoms that seemed to point to another condition, yet I couldn't get any doctors to listen and take me seriously, and by the time they finally did, the symptoms had stopped. I feel like they think I'm making it up, or causing all this myself, then I start doubting myself.

It's very frustrating.

:hug:

Very frustrating! The older I get the worse it's getting to. It's almost as if the only time being sick is justifiable is when you're only sick enough to be hospitalized. That's an awful feeling, trying to justify when you feel ok to certain things. Luckily my doctors act accordingly when I have a concern and get things done pretty quickly. I've had a scope done this week that came back clear and healthy but my blood work is in the toilet apparently. White blood cell count super low, potassium super low and hemoglobin as well super low. My blood work was so bad that my Nutrition nurse got me to come back in to do another round of blood work and some cultures to rule out an infection.

In general I believe what I believe to be true.

If I think I'm going to do well today at work, then I'm far more likely to have a successful day. Conversely, if I think my performance and results at work will turn out poorly for the day, they do 100% of the time!

It is very important to stay positive that you will get better in addition to trying your best to heal/take care of the disease.

For me personally, positive thinking alone is not enough to help me beat Crohn's. This disease is almost undeniably physical in my case (not saying yours is or isn't).

So no, I can't make it all better by wishing well. But I can help speed up my recovery and improve chances by believing things will turn around rather than draping myself in doom and gloom.

If you're interested in learning about how our thoughts and beliefs work scientifically, i strongly recommed checking out The Biology of Belief by Bruce Lipton.

I hope things turn for you sooner rather than later. Keep your chin up. It's these rough times in life that make us stronger people and able to truly appreciate the good times in life.

SarahBear

Think a little less literally.

Obviously, we all know about the connection between stress and IBD. It's easy to wonder if maybe you're stressing yourself into symptoms and flares, so it's not a huge jump to wondering if you thought yourself into the disease itself. I don't actually believe I did, but it certainly pops into my head often enough.

Very frustrating! The older I get the worse it's getting to. It's almost as if the only time being sick is justifiable is when you're only sick enough to be hospitalized. That's an awful feeling, trying to justify when you feel ok to certain things. Luckily my doctors act accordingly when I have a concern and get things done pretty quickly. I've had a scope done this week that came back clear and healthy but my blood work is in the toilet apparently. White blood cell count super low, potassium super low and hemoglobin as well super low. My blood work was so bad that my Nutrition nurse got me to come back in to do another round of blood work and some cultures to rule out an infection.
PTSD Correlates With Disease Activity in Crohn's
http://www.medpagetoday.com/Gastroenterology/InflammatoryBowelDisease/23714

Overview

Potassium is a very important mineral for the proper function of all cells, tissues, and organs in the human body. It is also an electrolyte, a substance that conducts electricity in the body, along with sodium, chloride, calcium, and magnesium. Potassium is crucial to heart function and plays a key role in skeletal and smooth muscle contraction, making it important for normal digestive and muscular function. Many foods contain potassium, including all meats, some types of fish (such as salmon, cod, and flounder), and many fruits, vegetables, and legumes. Dairy products are also good sources of potassium.

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/potassium