• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I scheduled my surgery today!

I'm happy to say that I've scheduled my resection and fistula repair for 10/7. Can't wait to hopefully get some relief after nearly a decade of increasing pain. But I'm also a little nervous. Does anyone have any advice for me going into surgery?

I plan to make a bunch of soft foods and freeze servings of them, and definitely stock up on groceries pre-op. My surgeon thinks she can do the surgery laproscopically, but of course there is still a chance it could be an open surgery just depending on what she finds.

Is this your first surgery? I've not had the surgery you're having, but I've had I think seven surgeries, so hopefully I can give you some general advice. Do you have any specific worries or questions?

Soft foods are definitely a good idea. You will probably need someone to help you round the house when you first come home from hospital, with things like shopping and cooking - you should avoid lifting anything heavy for at least six weeks after the surgery.

All my surgeries have been laproscopic, apart from my last one. When they told me it was not going to be laproscopic, I worried it would be far more painful, but it wasn't. They did give me stronger painkillers at first, but after a couple of weeks I was having no pain relief at all.

I really hope this surgery goes well for you.

It is my first surgery. I've done a lot of research and I don't have specific questions at this point. Just wondering if there is anything those who had surgery wish they knew before surgery that they didn't know. Just trying to be prepared ....that's all. What do you wish you knew or did before surgery that you didn't?

My surgery will be a (likely) laproscopic removal of the illiuem (a few inches), cecum, and appendix, removal of at least 2 fistulas, and anything else they find that needs work

I'm not sure how much this advice is applicable to others, it's the first thing that came to mind because it happened with my most recent surgery; I would avoid really strong pain meds after surgery. All my previous surgeries I haven't had anything strong, but my most recent surgery I had a huge amount of Oxycodone. The withdrawal was worse than the pain of the surgeries when I'd just had paracetamol.

More generally: expect your system to be messed up after surgery. You won't feel the benefits right away, so there will be times you wonder why you put yourself through this, but when you're recovered and things settle down, it will be different.

I wish you the best of luck with surgery.

The only thing I can add is that unfortunately the first days after surgery can be pretty tough. There might be pain, you might have trouble sleeping (ask for something so you can sleep, not being able to sleep is the worst...) and unfortunately many people (me included) fall in a somewhat post-op depressive hole due to the shock to the system. The only thing I can say is to take it easy, take your time, only start eating something very mild once you are allowed (I remember they gave me normal quite salty soup of one of the first things to eat on day 3 post op, thankfully I stopped after just two spoons, as they gave that to me by mistake), once allowed, walk around regularly during the day, slowly but regularly, it helps your body to heal.

Also, if they after all end up to have open surgery, don't be shocked when you wake up. When I had surgery in 2003, they originally tried it laparoscopically but realized there was just too much stuff to do (3 strictures, strictureplasty) so they opted for open surgery...

Again, all the best and that you recover speedly after your surgery.

I agree with alex_chris, about the sleeping and moving especially. I always know when I'm really getting better, because I can sleep through the night again. Ask for something to help you sleep, if you need it. The nurses will probably tell you when it's ok for you to walk, but make sure you feel ready too. It really will do you good, but as with most things, start slow.