• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I think I have Crohn's Disease

Hello again maybe I should've named myself "Over-Concerned". I truely feel I have an IBD either the Ulceritus one or Crohn's. My personal guess because I have done some very thorough research and from my own physical exam as well as my gastrologist exam it is Crohn's because where I am having all of my pain and problems is in my lower GI like the intestines and when I feel of my lower GI I feel a tightness as well as some places that feel like blockages and I have read is that ulceritus is only the colon and rectum where Crohn's can be from the mouth all the way down. Okay, the reason I wrote is because I sent in my CBC test to all of you to see and I have also researched and read that a blood test is not always the best way to find an IBD or Crohn's Disease; is this true? My gastrologist is planning on having me do a ct scan of my lower gi to my pelvis will this give a clearer picture and find out what is going on and maybe find Crohn's Disease? Thanks all of you for helping me.
My symptoms include lower abdomenal pain which feels like it is right below my stomach and above my pelvis and this I feel is mainly my intestines. Everyday basically 24/7 I have a dull aching pain which averages around a 3 - 4 pain level and I do have times that it reaches to maybe a 6 - 8 pain level. My bowels are very painful when I do go and I have diarrhea and constipation constantly. I have clear mucous that oozes out of my rectum as well. These are just some of my main symptoms and the worse times for me is the morning times and at times very late at night. Here is a list of my medication:
1. LEVOTHYROXINE (SYNTHROID, LEVOTHROID) 112 MCG TABLET
2. HYDROCHLOROTHIAZIDE (MICROZIDE) 12.5 MG CAPSULE
3. LOVASTATIN (MEVACOR) 20 MG TABLET
4. ALBUTEROL (PROAIR HFA) 108 (90 BASE) MCG/ACT INHALER this is for when my acid reflux really acts up and I can hardly breath.
5. PROMETHAZINE (PHENERGAN) 25 MG TABLET
6. BUTALBITAL-ACETAMINOPHEN-CAFFEINE (FIORICET) TABLET
7. TOPIRAMATE (TOPAMAX) 25 MG TABLET
8. FAMOTIDINE (PEPCID) 20 MG TABLET
9. DICYCLOMINE (BENTYL) 20 MG TABLET

Also another part of my blood test came in and I will give the results on it. This one was done over my metabolism
BASIC METABOLIC PANEL:

Glucose

70 - 110

MG/DL

BUN

9 - 20

MG/DL

Creatinine, Ser

0.50 - 1.40

MG/DL

GFR MDRD Non Af Amer

> 60

ML/MIN

GFR MDRD Af Amer

> 60

ML/MIN

Sodium

137 - 145

MMOL/L

Potassium

3.5 - 5.3

MMOL/L

Chloride

100 - 108

MMOL/L

CO2

22.0 - 30.0

MMOL/L

Anion Gap

8 - 16

MMOL/L

BUN/Creatinine Ratio

12 - 20

Osmolality Calc

275 - 295

MOS/KG

Calcium

8.4 - 10.2

MG/DL
The two I most concerned with is the two BUN results that is too low can someone tell me what this means I have done some research and found out it has something to do with the urea but I am still confused. Thanks.

Last edited:
A CBC is a general blood test if the values fell outside of the normal range it would only conclude that more invstigation is needed and isn't specialized to IBD but to anything, because it is a standard test. In your other post all of your values were inside the normal range. If you were to have a series of CBC the dr might could determine a trend but one test(unless something is abnormal) wouldn't indicate much.

A CT scan can show thickening of the instestine which might infer inflammation but generally GI will use the CT to determine if further testing is needed.

There are many tests that the GI can perform that can help determine what is going with your GI tract. It sounds like your GI is approaching this with the protocol most GI's tend to use. Have you had any stool tests? Other tests than can be helpful are the SBFT, MRI, endoscopy. I hope you find answers soon and welcome to the forum.

I'm going to tag muppet and Crabby as they may be able to give better explanations to the CBC and other testing.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome the forum.

I may be reading your previous post wrong but I cannot see where they have checked your inflammation levels, on tests over here they are known as the ESR and CRP and whilst these do not indicate where the inflammation is it can say whether there is any present in the body. Of course bloods cannot be used to give a definete diagnosis either way but can be helpful for docs to give a direction to go next with their investigations. Out of interest what symptoms are you having at the moment?

AB
xx

Welcome to the community, we are happy you're here!

As stated, a MRI could show thickening, stricture(s) or fistula/perforation or fluid in abdomen. At this point , the doc may decide to do colonoscopy or pill cam test. These are other tests i would ask about.

Best of the luck to ya! Keep us posted on how things go. - hugs-