• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I think Im flaring on Cimzia

How is it possible to flare while on Cimzia? I'm calling my Gastro Monday. Shouldn't this shot keep me from flaring. Here's the weird thing and maybe I really don't know how things work. but even though I am flaring I'm still not near as bad as I was before I started taking the shot. Ill be on a liquid diet starting next Wednesday to see if this helps but I though the shot would keep me from flaring.

nogutsnoglory

Unfortunately as with any medication even very effective ones there are those who will never respond to it, then there are those who respond to some extent but will continue to have issues, and finally those who respond fully for a while but eventually the medication just gives out on them.

It sounds like you may fit the second category because you say even while flaring its a "better" flare. It's definitely good to speak with your GI. Cimzia may be working but may need a drug to augment for more healing.

Thanks for your response. I do agree on the 2nd. If I was flaring like before I would be going to the bathroom more then 15 times a day urgency would be 24 7 I am nowhere near that, of course if I have dairy all bets are off. I am running low grade fevers back ache side ache this is manageable pain and I have a low tolerance for pain however I have noticed that my bathroom trips have picked up a bit I have no appetite I am going to talk to him new week about a liquid diet for a week. Ive already taken steps and purchased some ensure through Amazon I'm not seeing blood or mucus which is a good think but on feel like crap fatigued and my side hurts not always but sometimes like now left side colon maybe its scar tissue who know I think Ive asked about scar tissue before and I think the answer was yes it can be painful. I thought crohns was strictly on the right side? its only my left side that has damage my right feels perfect. I guess I still don't get it

nogutsnoglory

Definitely mention all of the above to your GI. Crohn's mainly attacks the lower right quadrant or small intestine but it can manifest anywhere from mouth to anus along the digestive track. Left quadrant pain can absolutely be active crohn's. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/crohns/

This is a really nice graphic showing where crohn's can manifest in the lower GI. Based on your pain in the left its likely your appendix, small intestine or colon that is irritated.

http://cceffect.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/crohns.gif

Yep looking at the photo I would say my pain is probably some at the bend there at the top left and the descending its not constant pain it comes and goes kind of weird my back ache which I remember having when I was diagnosed. Against my better judgement I will start taking my pred this afternoon I have a 6 month supply of that crap I don't want more damage from inflammation also will be eating lightly til I start my liquid diet and will call GI Monday morning.

On another note. I am severely Lactose intolerant. Thursday at work I had a large vanilla milkshake and a Nathans hotdog with mustard and ketchup new I would pay but the diarrhea didn't start like this til I had the shake then yesterday without thinking I had banana pudding with whipped cream. Will dairy cause diarrhea and pain for people that are lactose intolerant?

nogutsnoglory

I wouldn't just start an old dose of 6mp, it will take several weeks to kick in and your doctor should advise you on it and monitor your bloods on it. You are speaking to them Monday its worth just waiting. If you are extremely concerned about inflammation just go on a liquid it soft foods diet till Monday. If you are lactose intolerant please avoid dairy it can exacerbate your problems. Best of luck, keep us posted.

Thanks so much Yes your right Ill wait and talk to him Monday. I'm being very careful about what I eat right now dairy is out the question. I had almond milk earlier which does not bother me. It is mostly liquid I'm making chicken soup for dinner its very basic no noodles I hate pasta only chicken with potatoes and carrots cooked in a big pot.
On a side note I'm not saying I'm suicidal or anything but I wonder how the suicide rate it for people with IBD. I swear sometimes I'm just tired of it that's all I'm saying.

Thanks so much for your support

PsychoJane

It is normal to be tired, it sure can be real hard at times. Obviously, we end up being more at risk of depression (and co-related issues such as suicidal thoughts) from the difficulties we go through. Between us, it's hard to never be down when you deal with issues like ours. It is important to keep in mind that things can get better with times, it is just that the period where it's not super can be more than a few weeks. I always focus on the future and take every day one bit at a time. It is contradictory but I see positive on long term but focus on small realization day by day otherwise it can be heavy!

Thank you for your response, I feel like such a cowered sometimes for just wanting to give up but where else is there to go with this disease? it only gets worse. My kids are the only thing that keep me from the edge I'm not a selfish person. To the other poster above you, My plan was to wait till Monday to call my Gastro which I still plan to do but I caved last night and started the pred its a fairly new script. I cant take this crap anymore. I need relief its a damn shame that the most hated medicine is the one that works the best for me. As far as I'm concerned he can stick the Cimzia I'm done with. I did liquids only last night I drank the broth from the chicken soup I made and had Almond milk with a little ovaltine in it. I don't know if its the pred or or the liquid only but I woke to no back ache well see what the rest of the day brings. I think the last straw was I had to go to Walgreen's I picked up some more ensure some TP which I have stock in and they should give me for free LOL and photos well once I was checking out I was just about done then it hit me standing right their at the cashier I almost pooped myself how friggin embarrassing. I'm so friggin done with this crap.

Thanks for your responses sorry if I strayed off topic. I swear I think Im ADD no joking.