• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I want to change my diet, looking for advice

Hi I'm Kara-Danielle and I was diagnosed with crohns a few months ago and its been a rough road but getting a lot better now..I just started humira last week and I'm waiting for that to take affect..I was wondering what are some good diets to follow to help in my remission process :)

afidz

Super Moderator
Hi Kara! Welcome to the forum!
there is tons of info on different diets people follow, I am going to tag KWalker as he is the moderator of the diet section and the diet he follows really seems to help him. I am sure he will be able to point you in the right direction! If not I will also link you to the diet section and you can take a look in there and see what other people are doing! http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17

KWalker

Hello and welcome! There are a few of us on here doing the diet route and having great success. If you would like, please do join us in the diet section and if you have any questions I'm sure we can help :)

Kara, as said above there is tons of info around.

I always use two guidelines for pretty much all that I eat:

1. Anything with the word "too" in there is generally bad. Too spicy, too oily, too fatty, too salty, too sweet, too sour, too flavored etc.

2. Relax during meals. It very often isn't just the food, it also is problematic if you have an intense conversation while eating or eat too fast, or the temperature is too hot where you eat etc.

Anyway, to give you a few examples that work for me is things like chicken with rice, or unflavored polenta, porridge, just plain dark bread with butter and honey etc.

big breakthroughs for me are no dairy and no gluten, absolutley no processed or fast foods, no spicy, no weird greasy oils, no whole raw nuts or seeds (I eat plenty of nut butter though, like almond butter, peanuts are a trigger for me though)
basically I make everything from scratch lol
I drink 1-3 fresh veggie juices or smoothies a day- liquid plant based calories all the way!
coconut water is great for hydration and extinguishing mild flares
coconut oil is also great for cronies
I eat alot of avacado, sprouts, egg, fish, cooked veggies, some goat yogurt, blueberries, yams, squash, and some gluten free products like rice bread
good luck!