• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

IBD and Children care

S

Skinsfan1229

http://www.ccfa.org/research/pedchallenges

When it comes to pediatric IBD, children are not simply "little adults." They face unique issues, and the disease can come on during an important period of growth and development. To help address the challenges these younger patients face, CCFA has spearheaded the development of a new research initiative – Pediatric Challenges in IBD Research.

Last year CCFA convened a research conference focused exclusively on issues in pediatric IBD. The meeting provided a forum for 30 leading physicians and scientists to clarify issues and set a 5-year agenda for pediatric IBD research. CCFA committed itself to shaping that new agenda -- a role the Foundation has played for the past 15 years in the field of IBD research generally.

"The pediatric perspective offers a uniquely fertile basis for research into what makes IBD tick," said Athos Bousvaros, M.D., a prominent pediatric gastroenterologist at Boston Children's Hospital and Chair of the meeting's Steering Committee. "By advancing our understanding of what factors initiate and trigger this disease in childhood and adolescence, we hope to not only improve the lives of children, but identify ways to treat and possibly prevent these illnesses from developing in the first place."

Click the link to read on.

J

Janet

:angry-banghead:
Skinsfan1229 said:
They face unique issues, and the disease can come on during an important period of growth and development.
Ugh tell me about it. I started having symptoms at 14 and was Dx'd at 17 so one of my "important periods of growth and development" never happened. It's nice to see research happening for pediatric IBD because it's pretty crappy:ybatty:

I started having trouble that summer after I turned 13 in april... I was in pain suffering for 9 months until I almost died and then the docs finally realized hey something is wrong with me... I was sent to see a pedatric GI doc and was diagnosed with crohn's then... Now I'm 22 soon to be 23 in april... Due to the crohn's the way I raised I've never had a "real relationship" with a female... I always get sick or drive them off with all the crap I have to go through... Either that or I get labled as "just a friend"... Or they decied their not ready for a relationship... Then its hard for to express myself emotionally because if I get too emotional then stress builds and the crohn's flares up... So getting in a relationship could kill me.... Granted being alone for the rest of my life could do the same thing... Ughhhhhh crohn's sucks...

im 17 atm :( diagnosed at 15. gnc crohn's man don't be down you'll find someone if you try, trust me on this! best thing to do is not give a crap (haha pun) and u'll find a girl eventually. ur only 22 u shouldnt worry! relationships suck anyways unless the person is worth it which is rare. shouldn't have to not only stack crohns problems but then other responsibilities with the girl as well its too overwhelming dont u think

My life has been based upon overcoming overwhelming odds... Granted a lot of times the overwhelming odds win but sometimes they don't.. No I never learn my lesson..

Also Dekar I thought the same thing when I was 17 but I'm 22 now... I went through A LOT of growing up between 17-and now... Now I'm looking for a companion and someone to settle down with... Which is hard very hard to find someone that meets those requirments... You can't just expect for someone to magically walk into your life... it requires effort and at the very least keeping your eyes open... When you get older and your priorites change then you'll understand...

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
That's beautiful! Sometimes people DO just magically walk into your life, but it does take the effort to keep them there! When you meet her, and she's the first thing you think of in the morning and the last thing you think of at night and you can't imagine life without her, then you've found her and invest the time to keep her. But it's good to here some young guys ready to do things right. Took my husband until 40 before he gave up and gave in! I had known him since he was 26! But the day I met him, I knew he and I belonged, took 10 years, but we belonged after all. Took effort too. Keep up the good work!

S

Skinsfan1229

I was 17 but I'm 22 now... I went through A LOT of growing up between 17-and now... Now I'm looking for a companion and someone to settle down with... Which is hard very hard to find someone that meets those requirments... You can't just expect for someone to magically walk into your life... it requires effort and at the very least keeping your eyes open... When you get older and your priorites change then you'll understand...
Sounds like me....

I'm 21 right now, I'll be 22 on December 29th , I was born in 1984. How old are you if you dont mind me asking?

22.... Born April 12th 1984... So I'll be 23 in April... But if you read my message you would read that I said I was 22 now LOL... That's okay though I skim through messages a lot of times too and miss some stuff...