• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

IBD and Genetics

Hi All

I would be very curious to know how many of you have Crohn's or UC in your families. There is a high history of IBD in my mother's side of the family. My mom has UC, my aunt has Crohn's, my uncle has UC, and another uncle who died from lung cancer had Crohn's. Both my grandparents from my mother's side had bowel problems, my Nana had bowel cancer and used to suffer from constipation alot over the years and my grandad had diverticulitis. Does IBD run in the rest of your families?

Karj

Only other person in my family we know of that had crohns was my nans cousin. Though my brother has stomach issue that I suspect my be crohns.

emmaaaargh

Staff member
My mum's best friend has CD, but I am the only person in my family who has been diagnosed with IBD. My granddad had issues, and eventually he got bowel cancer - I guess it could have been something, we just never knew. But I'm the first, officially. :/

Hey everyone!

I'm the first in my family! However I have a cousin with celiac disease. My paternal grandfather died of colon cancer and I am suspicious but I have nothing to confirm that idea. Interesting post! We do know that there is an absolute genetic correlation and if you have CD your siblings have a 1:4 chance of being diagnosed as well. Those are very high ratios.

I'm the only one in my family with IBD. My mom and older brother have ibs but have tested negative for an IBD. No one can be identified as having it in the lineage.