• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

IBD and oral health: higher risk for periodontitis and worse oral health

Lady Organic

Staff member
''Inflammatory bowel disease and oral health: systematic review and a meta-analysis.''

J Clin Periodontol. 2017 Jan 24. doi: 10.1111/jcpe.12698. [Epub ahead of print]

BACKGROUND:

The objective of this systematic review was to systematically investigate whether there is an association between inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and oral health.

METHODS:

Literature searches for randomized and non-randomized studies were performed up to January 2017. Risk of bias within studies was assessed with the Downs and Black checklist. Across-studies risk of bias was assessed with the GRADE framework. Quantitative synthesis was conducted with random-effects meta-analyses.

RESULTS:

A total of 9 cross-sectional studies including 1 297 patients were included. IBD was associated with increased risk of periodontitis (332 more patients per 1 000 patients; 95% confidence interval: 257 to 388 patients; p<0.001) compared to non-IBD patients. Additionally, the Decayed-Missing-Filled-Teeth index of IBD patients was significantly worse than non-IBD patients (mean difference: 3.85; 95% CI: 2.36 to 5.34; p=0.005). Patients with ulcerative colitis had considerably worse oral health for most of the assessed factors, while the quality of overall evidence ranged from high to low, due to observational nature of contributing studies.

CONCLUSIONS:

IBD was associated with significantly higher risk of periodontitis and worse oral health compared to non-IBD patients. However, longitudinal studies are needed in order to establish a causality link between IBD and periodontal disease.

What is Periodontitis and what can we possibly do for better prevention and better oral health (from Mayo Clinic)
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/periodontitis/basics/definition/con-20021679

I personally decided to take really good care of my gums and teeth since a couple of years. Now my gums barely bleeds anymore during dental cleaning and I barely have plaque, my dentist is very happy. It's thought that periodontitis begins with plaque (mayo clinic) . My gums improved dramatically after flossing twice everyday and brushing my teeth slowly and properly. I also get dental clean twice a year. It seems we should take this pretty seriously...

That has been the case for me, I have poor oral health. i have a type of colits. In my attempts to improve the situation, for me no matter how much I have brushed or how much I flossed, the number of dental cleanings done a year (at one point I was doing 4), my gums and teeth have done poorly. It's been rather frustrating.

It doesn't make me feel better that others in the family, who are without stomach issues, brush and floss little yet have wonderful teeth. grrrr....

There has been periods were my teeth and gums have done well though. With diet ideas I've made the stomach well. When that has happened the teeth and gums have done much better - AKA glowing reviews from the dentist. The very frustrating part has been trying to make the diet idea work long term. Adding new foods can be problematic I suspect but hard to say for certain.