• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

IBD now linked to increased heart attack/stroke risk

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...sease-stroke-heart-attack-risk_n_4138583.html

People who have inflammatory bowel disease, such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease, may also have a higher stroke and heart attack risk, a new review of studies suggests.

Mayo Clinic researchers found that having the intestine-inflaming condition ups risk of heart attack and stroke by 10 to 25 percent.

The findings are based on data from 150,000 people with the condition who were included in nine studies, and were presented at the annual meeting of the American College of Gastroenterology earlier this month.

"Gastroenterologists should be cognizant of this relationship and should focus on better management of conventional risk factors, such as smoking cessation, recognition and control of hypertension and diabetes," study researcher Siddharth Singh, M.B.B.S., said in a statement.

Inflammatory bowel disease first appears most often between the ages of 15 and 30, with about one in 10 cases appearing before a person turns 18, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

While data on the prevalence of the condition is not strong due to factors such as misdiagnosis, the CDC noted that up to 1.4 million people in the U.S. are affected by it. However, the costs of the condition are known, costing more than $1.7 billion overall.
MAYO CLINIC press release: http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2013-rst/7733.html?src=email-release

As Billy Crystal would say, why don't you just give me a paper cut and pour lemon juice all over it too. :tongue:

I guess it isn't very surprising, since they all seem to relate to inflammation.

I wonder if the risk goes down once the disease is in remission or is at least well controlled by medicine.