• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

IBD on Dr Phil -What a Waste

So I'm watching Dr. Phil and all of a sudden one of his guests is one dealing with UC/IBD!! I perk up right away and say to myself"Finally Crohns and Colits is getting some recognition"!!
So my heart went out to the guest who was telling her story All the same things we read here.

So Dr. Phil asks this young mother what the most difficult thing about the disease is that she has to deal with? She states the uncertainty of her flares, how family and friends d don't understand when she's fine one day but not the next, how her kids think she is going to die because they are to young to understand. Dr Phil doesn't say a thing and defers to his medical expert ( now that's up for discussion). Didn't he even research the topic beforehand? He seemed pretty clueless and really seemed to minimize her fears!

His so called expert tries to define UC but fails to really define the difference between UC and Crohns-Disease . She gets really into cautioning everyone that IBS is not IBD and not to self diagnose but see your doctor. Duh....that's all you have to offer? Question is asked if new treatment is on the horizon. She says yes but doesn't say what! !

The segment ends thanking the young mother for telling her story Totally a waste of time. This girl was strong to go on national TV and Dr. Phil and his staff appeared I'll prepared to talk about it. They could have dedicated a whole show to her instead of her being a filler for the show.

That's better than a show I watched with a celebrity talking about her UC. The segment ended with her telling about eating whole grain foods fixed her flares and that following a healthy diet will fix IBD.

Thats frustrating. We so need the recognition so instead of eww that's so gross people can just be like, oh that's sucks, let me know if you need anything. I know it's not a pretty disease but we deserve the right not to be ashamed of it.

I saw it too. First of all why was it added at the end of a show about a completely different topic? That bothered me. Also ten minutes doesn't even begin to get into what IBD is and what we live with. I'm glad it was addressed, but found it to be shallow.

Thanks for posting that video. I was so disappointed in his medical expert. She said nothing of substance and really did a poor job in addressing this disease and the suffering people go through.