• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

IBS or IBD??

I’ve been suffering stomach pain for about 2 years. It’s gotten worse involving abdominal pain, severe cramping, mucus and diarrhea, low-grade fevers, and over 70 pounds of weight loss. Recently just had an endoscope and colonoscopy that found gastritis and duodenitis along with the colonoscopy showing I had terminal ileum inflammation along with these bumps on the inside. Are these regular IBS syptoms? Or should I see someone else for another opinion

IBS does not cause inflammation or ulcers, does not damage the intestines. I would get a second opinion.

Hello,

Thanks for posting!

I have to agree with everyone else and say push further. IBS is an easy way out for doctors but it’s also a functional disorder and does not a physically inflaming or damaging characteristics.

I have the same visible signs as you - terminal ileum inflammation and ulcers as well as inflammation in stomach and duodenum, and thank goodness IBS hasn’t come up since that finding. My diagnosis has not yet been changed conclusive, but I’m just glad it’s never been defined as IBS. I think I would have gone crazy at my poor doctor if they said that to me.

Best of luck with your second opinion!

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community. As others said, it is DEFINITELY NOT IBS as there is not inflammation associated with IBS. If your gastro was unsure, definitely find a new GI doc.

Did they put you on any medications?

I’ve been suffering stomach pain for about 2 years. It’s gotten worse involving abdominal pain, severe cramping, mucus and diarrhea, low-grade fevers, and over 70 pounds of weight loss. Recently just had an endoscope and colonoscopy that found gastritis and duodenitis along with the colonoscopy showing I had terminal ileum inflammation along with these bumps on the inside. Are these regular IBS syptoms? Or should I see someone else for another opinion
I have severe IBS-M but it doesn't cause weight loss or fevers. I would seek a second opinion - preferably from a GI doctor who specializes in Inflammatory Bowel Disease.