• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ibuprofen cream ?

hello all , been in a flair up for the past month but thanks to the dreaded PRED its back under control.

But the osteapinia in my neck is causing huge amounts of pain to the point that it rapidly becomes a migraine :(

normally i make do with dyhyrocodeine or codeine phospate for the pain and i also use AXSIAN cream ( i really cant say how good this cream is ) but when i am working and sweating the sweat makes the cream unbearably hot to the point i have to start dabbing with milk to take the heat away.

i spoke to the docs today about this and he decided on trying a 5% ibuprofen cream when i cant use the axsian cream , i know we are not allowed NSAID`s but does this apply to the cream versions aswell ???

thx

N

My son had some knee pain and they put Ibuprofen patches (sort of like big bandaids) on his knees. They were okayed from his GI as perfectly safe because the NSAID doesn't pass through the digestive tract. So I think you are okay, but I always call the GI and check in on new things.

I hope you find relief from your pain. (((Hugs)))

nogutsnoglory

Creams do get absorbed by the skin but it probably only goes into the bloodstream and not the GI tract. If your doctor says its ok I suppose it is. Just be on the lookout for any changes like blood in your stool just in case.

I use Ibruprofen gel since a road traffic accident left me with terrible shoulder and neck pain. I find it really helps the pain and I haven't noticed any adverse effects on my Crohn's. As the others said, a small amount does get absorbed via the skin but it's less of an issue because the amount is small and it's not passing through the digestive tract. I didn't ask my consultant, but it would probably be a good idea to do so just as a precaution.

Catherine

Our chemist advice was that he could not recommend the use of the cream due to my daughter crohn's but didn't think it would cause a problem.

Tesscorm

Staff member
When my son had a shoulder injury, we were told a 'little' Voltaren (nsaid) ointment was okay but to use sparingly.

well i tried it last night as when laying down to sleep the pain goes through the roof , the ibuprofen cream did help but not that much , still ended up taking codeine aswell .

so far no indications of problems but its early days yet.

thx for the above , pretty much fits in with my way of thinking. :)

I hurt my knee last semester while studying abroad in New Zealand, and my doctor there told me to use Voltaren Gel to help with inflammation. I'm not sure how well it worked, but I checked with my GI back home, and he said that NSAIDS in cream form should be fine! Ice has always worked best for me, though.

Tesscorm

Staff member
My son has also used Tiger Balm. He had some back pain for months (partly due to an injury and, now thought, may have been partly due to intestinal inflammation). He swore by the Tiger Balm... said it gave him quite a bit of relief. Not sure if it will help with osteopenia though??

i have used tiger balm but after talking to the docs they gave me axsian cream on prescription , this stuff is amazing , works just like tiger balm but much more hotter and very long lasting (its made with capsaicin, the same stuff in chilli peppers).

even the wife agrees as she pinches it when her fibromyalgia is bad.