• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Idiosyncrasy

Fun with Appliances!

Does any one else have some kind of quirks when it comes to their ostomy? Psychologically I sometimes think my bag is my "security blanket." I catch myself just putting my hand over may stoma, touch my bag, always adjusting how its hanging even when non of this is nessesary. Also, I feel a little weird saying this I even feel and smoosh and push stuff that's just hanging around my stoma down to the bottom of my bag. Someone tell me I am not an odd ball.

Last edited:

LOSTnut

Poopy
Nope ... I do that too. When I feel that my output is thickening and "pancaking" I panic slightly and rub it off the stoma. At night, I usually put my hand on it, when I initially go to bed to make sure the bag is not folded over and keep my hand on the stoma part until I turn over. Guess, I am the other oddball..... :)

Terriernut

Nope ... I do that too. When I feel that my output is thickening and "pancaking" I panic slightly and rub it off the stoma. At night, I usually put my hand on it, when I initially go to bed to make sure the bag is not folded over and keep my hand on the stoma part until I turn over. Guess, I am the other oddball..... :)
I'm gonna have to try it so I dont feel left out!

You're not an oddball, Ron. I smoosh-and-slide, I 'adjust' my bag all the time. Perhaps it's male anatomy envy that I'm finally living out, but I see it as a security blanket as well. What's even worse is that sometimes, when I find myself in the midst of a boring conversation, I use my stoma/bag as an excuse to head to the bathroom to empty even though it's not necessary. By the time I get back, conversations have moved on!

Well, since we're doing 'true confessions,' I'll also admit to having conversations with my stoma in my head. If I'm wearing trousers that I think are too tight or if I'm sleeping on my tummy, I'll ask it questions like whether it can breathe, 'are you getting smooshed?" etc.

You might not be an oddball, Ron, but I might be a whackjob!

kismet

Terriernut

Yup, the ones you cant burp or squeeze out. Makes you wanna take a pin to it!??

Ron....I've just 'adjusted myself' :rof:

I used to get those bubbles a lot when I used Hollister products. Since I switched to Coloplast, 3-4 years ago, I've been bubbless.

CrohnsforLife, my wife tells me the same thing.

Nyx

I squish mine too...I have very thick output so sometimes it needs a helping hand when gravity is just not enough...lol I also find that I put my hand over it a lot, for no particular reason at all - I'm like those ladies that put their hands on their bellies when they're pregnant...lol

LOSTnut

Poopy
Nyx, now that you mentioned it that is a really good explanation.

I guess I kinda talk to it but usually more to the bag than to the stoma. Like pulling up the pants and the bag doesn't go in smoothly I tell it not to be difficult .... --> another whackjob! :D

Terriernut

No, ya'll arent wack jobs because I talk to Stan all the time! I'm constantly begging him to behave himself, to stop talking so loudly, to quit spitting, etc., etc. Also, I ask him if the water temp is ok when he's having a wash.

Ok...cart me off.

I always play with mine, and i always move stuff down, it even more funny when have pees or swetcorn in the bag, but i am nuts!

Yeah, when I feel a hard lump inside my bag I'll see if I can squash it. I had a still whole berry in there this morning which I squashed. I'm gross

the bubbles are squeezable if you really really squish them lol.....then you hear a lil 'pop'.
michelle i do that too! tis pretty gross haha! x

Okay, I don't have a bag but I read this anyway. First laugh I've had all day! Squeezing the bag....we should write a song that only Crohnies would understand!

ameslouise

Ron, you're not crazy! I squish and slide stuff down also when it gets bunched up around the stoma. Sometimes I just squish it around for the hell of it because it's fun, and yes, I squish peas and other stuff too. Green beans are notorious for getting stuck in the top of my bag!

I use Hollister and sometimes I do get those bubbles, too!

This thread should be subtitled, "Fun with Appliances!"

- Amy

Does anyone else feel a lump in their bag and wonder what it is? Then try to get a look of it when it comes out only to find that it just looks like a brown lump?

My family always tell me off for playing with my bag.

I do too Misty. sometimes I get stumped. like it feels like form but I haven't had corn in weeks. I used to use a regualer vitamin until they started to go into my bag almost without resolving.

Terriernut

Does anyone else feel a lump in their bag and wonder what it is? Then try to get a look of it when it comes out only to find that it just looks like a brown lump?

My family always tell me off for playing with my bag.
Yes!!!! I like it better when I can identify it! But I always just HAVE to look!

Haha I always get disappointed when it just looks like the rest of my output!

I also get disappointed when no one wants to feel the consistency of my output through my bag! I have no idea why they wouldn't want to! I also hate that I can't burp my bag in public. Seems pointless to go to the loo JUST to let a bit of air out.

I use opague ones but with a window/slit so i can have a look and check everythings ok and know when i've successfully moved everything down. i've never burped my bag in public, i'd be too scared to. i love squshing corn.

Are they ones by pelican, meardonna? I hated them! The slit would always look a little open. Not a sexy look. Plus the fact that the bag had half fallen off by morning lol

When I am in a bad flare-up like now... everything goes straight through me. I get malnourished cause the food is undigested. So I have to look at my bag for pile that haven't dissolved. I always use the clear bags so I can see what's in there. Asacol always shows up still.intact. lot of good these pills do me. I started taking Apriso instead now.
I usually forget I have this bag cause its been with me so long. Its only when something unexpected happens.....likeneing in public and realizing I have a huge bubble sticking out.... that I have to remember I am not like everyone else around me..... Not for nothin but I am glad I have my bag. Its been a lifesaver.

I don't use pelican, although I have tried them! I have tried and tested every single bag that has been made! My husband thinks I'm crazy and have an obsession with bags! When I said I'm just trying to find the perfect bag to help me live life,and that it has nothing to do with handbags, his reply was that to him they are both the same they both are used to carry shit around till you can dump it somewhere.

I currently use oakmed microskins as they never leak and I can do all my active sports with them. I don't like totally covered bags as I can't see what's going on, but I also don't like clear bags.

Nyx

I've always used opaque bags with the cloth like covering...I can't stand the clear ones! I don't want really want to see my poop that badly...lol

LOSTnut

Poopy
Meadonna, love the way your husband put it -- lol.

Lari -- are you sure that the Asacol run through you unscathed of if just the hull shows up? I know that the Asacol has a hard shell that is supposed to "deliver" the med to a certain point and sometimes it seems that they are intact. On the other hand, I often see the powder in the bag ... which I absolutely hate because they are so expensive and then I wonder if anything was delivered to the correct point in the colon.

Ron,

I am still a newbie, only 6 months at this... and I touch it very often just to feel how full it is. I kind of feel uncomfortable if someone stares at my bulging pants... being male I am sensitive to that - so I check all the time, probably too often. When wearing a jacket, I now wear double-breasted, so that i am more relaxed and don't get embarrassed if someone stares at the bulge. I am always curious what they think, I don't advertise that I have a bag.

LOSTnut

Poopy
LOL, hopeful ... never thought of it from a male perspective.

I feel how full it is all the time too, letting my hand glide down the front. But, I am female and probably nobody thinks too much of it.

Really, Cindy? It is odd but I have to know what is going on. Never did when everything came out the normal way ... then again, I guess healthy people take their health for granted. These days I even know what to expect depending on what I eat. Ain't that gross??

LOSTnut

Poopy
Hmmmm, they claim that Tom Jones had a pair of socks stuffed down there ... could he have (had) a bag. (Don't know if he is still alive) :)

The asacol does leave the hard Hull and the powder stuff is right there in the bag so lot of good it does for the colon! Sometimes it doesn't dissolved at all. I started taking Apriso instead and they work better. I like using a clear bag cause I want to know what else doesn't digest. I also check my bag a lot when I am out in public t
o make sure I don't have a big bubble growing. I. Just kind of pat myself once in awhile you know?
Oh the things we do being ostomites....

when I had asacol before my op it would come out complete, the same way it went in! it very rarely came out with a little of the powder being 'used'! I think sometimes it comes out so quick it doesn't have a chance to release, and should never be used on ostomates as it is meant to dissolve in colon so wont have done anything before reaching the bag

Terriernut

They gave me the pentasa sachets, they helped a bit more than the asacol I think. Still some comes out. But its supposed to help the the small and large intestine. Some of it must work.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that looks at what comes out. :shifty:

ameslouise

"UFO"s - unidentified floating objects. Just had some this mornings. Pretty sure it was undigested mozzarella cheese (not to self - stop eating pizza)....

What's really scary is to spot unidentified floating objects and not know what it was you ate. I usually don't look at my bag that much but because they are the clear kind sometimes weird things catch my eye. Crazy huh?