• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

If I still have something showing up on my video capsule does this mean Skyrizi is not working?

Hello. I started Skyrizi in April 2023 and had a video capsule endoscopy done in November 2023 (just last week) to see if we could determine if the biologic was working.

My November results (last week after 8 months of Skyrizi) revealed:
A few medium sized faint mucosal red spots were found in the mid small bowel. A single small whitish plaque vs mucosal break was found in the distal small bowel.

Also, this was not my first video capsule endoscopy. My first was August 2022 which indicated: normal ileum and multiple areas of small punctate ulcerations in the jejunum.

Question 1.
Since a "single small whitish plaque vs mucosal break was found in the distal small bowel" was discovered, does this mean Skyrizi is not working?

Question 2.
Is that a new finding if I'm comparing it to my August 2022 video capsule endoscopy? Because it doesn't read to me like it was there beforehand.

I have not heard from my doctor. I only saw the report in my patient portal. Of course I plan to ask him these questions but until I do, I was hoping someone here might be able to ease my mind that none of this means I'm failing Skyrizi. I guess I'm worried that 8 months of a biologic would have healed everything if it was going to work for me. It was my understanding that my Crohn's was perceived as mild (or beginning stages) so I would have thought that 8 months might be enough to know.

Also, my physical symptoms have improved. However, I am not where I was PRE-Crohn's.

Thanks for any input!

I have a similar situation, but on Entyvio. My physical symptoms improved a lot, but colonoscopy did not show any healing. I decided to stay on Entyvio regardless as I had no side effects and really enjoyed the feeling of being healthy.
I have been taking it for 2+ years, but unfortunately my symptoms deteriorated. I have an appointment later this week to discuss what to do next. Maybe it was a mistake to keep taking medication that didn't show any healing? Please let us know what your doc will recommend.

I have a similar situation, but on Entyvio. My physical symptoms improved a lot, but colonoscopy did not show any healing. I decided to stay on Entyvio regardless as I had no side effects and really enjoyed the feeling of being healthy.
I have been taking it for 2+ years, but unfortunately my symptoms deteriorated. I have an appointment later this week to discuss what to do next. Maybe it was a mistake to keep taking medication that didn't show any healing? Please let us know what your doc will recommend.
I'm sorry to hear that your symptoms have deteriorated. I actually have had some healing. I had a push enteroscopy last week and comparing it to the one I had a year earlier (before Skyrizi), there was improvement. However, the video capsule endoscopy still shows mucosal spots and a mucosal break. I'm hoping it will heal fully with continued use of Skyrizi but I don't really know what to expect. I will be interested in hearing what my doctor thinks. Speaking of, I hope your appointment goes well and that you get a good recommendation on something that will work for you.

Scipio

It sounds like you have achieved partial but not quite full remission. The skyrizi has knocked the disease down a lot, but the capsule camera endoscopy indicates there is still low residual disease.

This is much the same situation I am in with Stelara. I've been on it for six years now, and my life is pretty much back to normal symptom-wise, but colonoscopy shows still a lingering low level of inflammation in the terminal ileum. And as long as it doesn't get any worse, I'm fine with that.

So I wouldn't say that skyrizi "isn't working" so much as it is partially working - showing improvement but not quite strong enough to achieve complete remission.

It sounds like you have achieved partial but not quite full remission. The skyrizi has knocked the disease down a lot, but the capsule camera endoscopy indicates there is still low residual disease.

This is much the same situation I am in with Stelara. I've been on it for six years now, and my life is pretty much back to normal symptom-wise, but colonoscopy shows still a lingering low level of inflammation in the terminal ileum. And as long as it doesn't get any worse, I'm fine with that.

So I wouldn't say that skyrizi "isn't working" so much as it is partially working - showing improvement but not quite strong enough to achieve complete remission.
I'm so glad to hear from you again, you have commented on another of my concerns before. I am encouraged to hear that Stelara seems to work for you to a degree after all these years. This is exactly what I was curious about with Skyrizi so I'm happy you shared your situation.

If I can continue to benefit from Skyrizi enough to not cause serious issues then I will be happy, especially if I can continue that way for years.

I'm wondering if I am being overly optimistic in thinking that I will still continue to get further healing from Skyrizi? I have two more injections (December and February) before I hit the one year mark. Or, have I maxed out on the benefit I will see from Skyrizi? It's hard to get answers to questions like this. Maybe because it's so different for everyone. Thank you again for replying!