• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

If it ain't broke, do I change it?

Hi, I am new to this site. I have Crohn's (terminal ileitis and perianal disease). I was diagnosed in March 2012 after being hospitalized for what I thought was appendicitis. I was first diagnosed about 2007 with acid reflux and IBS. I have had bowel problems since I was in kindergarten (back then, for constipation, enemas were "the answer", or Paregoric = Awful Stuff :yfrown:). I started Remicade infusions last June (with much fear and anxiety)...but after a few treatments, my CTScan showed improvement. I was feeling better, but the idea of something toxic going into my body, really freaked me out. So, I stopped using Remicade after my March 2013 treatment, trying to find some "natural" way of curing this. I am back to being fatigued and achy and really, really upset because financially after Medicare helps, I am left with a crazy high amount to pay every 8 wks and explained to my doctor that I feel like I'm drowning just trying to get well. We have discussed my treatment options and I am to get back on the Remicade right away. But I have also been talked with by the hospital Pharmacist, who explained Humira to me and gave me a packet with a "talking Training Pen" to help me decide if I should switch over. I have read many of your discussions about Remicade and Humira, and I know it is up to me to decide; but I find I am getting more upset and confused. You all seem to be very kind and I would appreciate any input. My infusion has been scheduled for Aug. 12th and I am getting my TB skin test on the 6th. I also suffer from depression and I just can't seem to wrap my head around this illness. The assistant doctor was kind enough to give me a print-out of the gastrointestinal tract and colored in the areas where I am scarred and "ill" (for lack of a better term, forgive me). I will continue to research...seems like Remicade might be the better of the two for me, since it has shown to be effective; the only problem for me is the distance I have to drive to get the infusions; much gasoline consumption and wear and tear on the car (though the wear and tear on my body is obviously more important). Thanks for hearing me out and I hope to hear from you. Sincerely, Victoria

Hi. Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of things to take in consideration when choosing a medicine. So you are the only one with the help of your Doctor who can decide which is better for you. Talk to your Doctor about your doubts. Which ever you choose I wish you a speedy recovery. Please let us know how it goes.