• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

If Only

Hello All!
My first post here, I must start by saying I myself am not a Crohn's sufferer however, first hand I have watched this wretched disease break down the Love of my Life and in turn our relationship.
I was very understanding, did all I could for my ex but with the many ugly faces of CD coupled with its numerous heavy variants of medication (and the fact we ran our own company together) we were only ever heading for failure, something that will cut me up forever.

We do however have one remarkable, amazing Plus, we have a 1 year-old Son. A baby (in doctors words) against all odds due to the severity of his mothers level of CD, a Son I fear each day may inherit this horrible curse.
In the six months since our amazing little family fell apart I have researched deeply into CD, I thought I understood it, i really didn't and I only wish I knew then what I know now.

I feel it now my goal, my call, to do what I can to help raise not only finance but awareness of Crohn's as so many people know so little about it and just how damaging this disease can be.

I read your posts daily guys, so many people with so many different battles. You have helped me a lot, you ALL have my very best wishes for your health and your future.

Together, in time, WE WILL BEAT THIS!

#f**kcrohnsdisease

Trysha

Staff member
Hello Concerned.dad
Welcome to the forum...so sorry to hear of your marital difficulties....crohns is a destroyer
Perhaps one day you may get together again ....here's hoping the babe escapes the crohns....and hoping for a permanent remission for your ex.who knows the future?maybe one day you will come together again
Prayers and best wishes
Trysha

Hi Trysha

Thank you for you kind words, as well as the education I have found this forum something of a comfort as everyone is helping each other and though until today id never posted a story of my own ive read a lot of other peoples stories that are very familiar.

Whatever the future may bring im pleased I found a place to help me and where maybe I can help others.

Keep Fighting!

Honey

Staff member
Hi there, and welcome
Yes , Crohns is a difficult illness which affects people in different ways. Not one treatment suits all! I wish you all the best for the future.
:rosette1::welcome::rosette1:

Trysha

Staff member
Hi concerned Dad
There is a Lighthearted section called Last One Wins on this forum....you might like to take a look and perhaps joins us there...we just keep up an everyday patter...usually entertaining...
Trysha

Lady Organic

Staff member
hi concerned dad and welcome. The risk is 1 out of 10 for your son to develop the disease. I dont think the severity of the parent's disease increases the odds of heritage. I'd really encourage you not to fear and be anxious about the possible risk for your son to develop the disease. Live the present moment with your healthy son:) At this moment nothing indicates your son could have the disease. Worrying really serves no one:(
If I ever have children, I'd make sure to propose the healthiest lifestyle to my children, just as I do for myself since a few years: low stress, encourage sports, encourage healthy diet (vegetarian/Mediterranean style diets) and discourage transformed commercial food. I personally believe these are all protective variables of any disease. I find this approach very positive and empowering and lowers the worries, as I take decisions and actions.
Wishing your family well:)

Hi Lady Organic

Thank you for the advice. The concern my Son may or may not inherit this disease (other than paying more attention to what he eats) doesn't affect or inhibit us at all. He is a thriving, happy toddler and that's all I could wish for.

My point being is that I feel if I can do anything to help raise both finance and awareness of CD, to help in anyway I can then I need to do just that, then my experience of this disease hasn't been in vain.

my little penguin

Staff member
Lady organic
Environmental/food in particular is not protective against developing the disease in little kids.
Is it healthy and good for kids -yes
Does it stop kids from having Crohns no

Infants and young kiddos (not teenagers/young adults)
Have different phenotypes than the adult version
Environment is far less of a factor

It would be nice to think if kids just ate all organic Whole Foods
No one would get this disease
Especially kids

It just doesn't work that way so please do not tell other parents that if only they feed their kids healthy enough that they won't get sick with Crohns.

Parents have enough guilt of what could you do differently.

Infants contract this disease
Toddlers as well
All of whom have been feed organic foods in a healthy environment
And still get Crohns

I do appreciate all the advice I get here, until recently I knew nothing about Crohn's but after witnessing what I have and since learning what I have, one thing I do know is it's a very wide and varied disease.
I can't live a life governed by worry and I wont raise my Son with the fear he inherits CD dictating his life. Obviously I pay closer attention to things, we avoid for now things we know affect his mother but as his mother says "only time will tell"
Her initial diagnosis was such a blunder she is as clued up as most as to what and what not to do, I know a lot more now than I did and feel sufficiently equipped.

Yes it's a worry, but it's a worry id hate to see him go through what ive seen his mother go through, it's not a worry that dictates our lives.

Lady Organic

Staff member
MLP: I was expressing about my own experience. I am sorry if you perceived I think a specific lifestyle is bulletproof for CD. I know its not bulletproof. That is not what I believe or expressed. I was expressing general ideas about protective environnemental factors we get in public health messages (not specific for CD or infant disease) for health in general. maybe i should have formulated it this way. For me, these habits empowered me and lessened my worries, it helps me coping with my disease. I am sorry if this could have made anyone uncomfortable or feel guilty.

Concerned dad: Im a glad to read your precisions in your last post. In your first post, i felt you were in great distress worrying a lot about your son so I just tried to gave some encouragements that worked for me. I will wish you the best and apologize for any discomfort my post could have brought :)

Hi Lady Organic, please don't feel the need to apologise to me, I appreciate any feedback and help I get here.

What distressed me most was that a man my age (and unfortunately so many others) knew so little about CD and what it can do.
I am now so much more aware and working with a leading UK Crohn's organisation to do the best I can so that others aren't left as confused and concerned as I was