• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ignorance aint Bliss

Hi My name is Karl im a crohns sufferer of 24 years; but to be honest; given my health history; probably 48 yrs; or since i was an infant. One thing I must impress upon our members is to at least listen to you;re dr. For myself I absolutely didnt know(was not informed ) of the potential out come of avoiding medication. I have found out the hard way; my prognosis is poor. Although I started medication probably 5-6 years after diagnosis; I suspect it had taken its toll rather sneekily and messed up my mind and emotions(just as something had when I was a child ....Crohns???) Anyway i really didnt realise how bad things had become untill i entered into a relationship and found some of the stresses of this sent me off the deep end(and into suicide mode ...just as had happened to me as a child!) do you see a pattern emmerging? Anyway to cut along story short the suicide mode. reared its ugly head numerous times. To much detriment to myself; I now suffer extensive brain injury; and an absolutely terrible existence to the point that I wish my suicide attempts had not been thwarted. I also live in a lot of pain and discomfort from the crohns; arthritis; painful eyes;etc..etc..etc..etc... To be honest my life is near to being over; It is an extremely miserable way to go; I believe the suicide attempts alowed the crohns to get an extra foot hold and it seems to be every wherefrom anus to mouth. I obviously need some sort of miracle; or as peaceful a death as possible( which I am researching at present) Truth be told i would LOVE to have my health back; it just seems like a mighty distance to travel; and my life has fallen to bits. I would like to research some other therapies; but every day I wake up I am reminded of the dilema im in Best to all members Karl

Hello Karl. I'm so glad you have found us here and thank you for posting your story. Unfortunately stress and depression are very common side effects of this awful disease.
Your post title really caught my eye because it was my signature when I was new to the forum, with a suspected Crohn's diagnosis and a long period before it was confirmed.
Please have a look at the Treatment sub-forum. There is lots of information and people's experiences with the standard Crohn's treatments, as well as alternative ones.
After 24 years, I'm guessing you will have been through quite a few of them?

Hi G/tum,thanks for the advice;. you;re certainly not wrong when it comes to the description Terrible; I personally have heard of about 4 people who have committed suicide; with this. Just cant get my life together ; hell this has been going on toooooo long; to much pain and stuff Cop ya later Karl

sawdust

Hello Karl. Welcome to the forum. I think you will find that there are lots of really great people here who can understand what it's like to live with this disease like no one else can, really. I don't have all the answers, but I wanted to encourage you to spend some time looking around. It's a forum that is really patient-focused, so we're all here to support one another. I hope you find it as encouraging and helpful as I have. :hug:

Karl - have you tried the SCD diet at all? (Specific Carbohydrate Diet as recommended in "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall (paperback available from Amazon for instance). This has helped lots of people suffering from Crohns/ulcerative colitis/diverticulitis and other bowel complaints. It's probably explained on the Treatment Sub-forum if you would care to investigate. Very best wishes for improvement in health and happiness.

Karl, my teen son with Crohn's has made two attempts, it did have an affect on his condition. He takes 100 mg. of generic Zoloft now, he has better days, though it's so tough. After starting the coconut oil twice a day and great probiotics(kept in frig.) he's had his first formed Bowel movements in years! It took about a month for it to start working but you may want to google that one or find it in the forum: Has anyone heard of taking coconut oil.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Hi Karl,

The stress of having Crohn's can be all too overwhelming. That is something we ALL can relate to here. This site definitely helped me at a time when I felt I was destined to suffer alone...to know there are others that can relate and to see what others on here are trying and with success to help themselves whether for symptoms or physically/mentally/emotionally is very inspiring. There will always be bad days in my opinion, but I think its important to find a way to take advantage of even the smallest of the good days. I am grateful for those days I feel well and try my best not to take them for granted. It makes living with crohn's that much easier to deal with sometimes.

I have also gone the therapy route and taken Zoloft myself. I know we all have our opinions on these types of treatment but I must say it really helped me to cope with not only my past anxiety issues but the stress and depression from first learning I had Crohn's. I am currently anti-depressant free and focus more on meditation and now light exercise to help not only create more healthy habits but to create and maintain a more stable, healthy mood.

I agree with others, look around the site. Everyone is SUPER supportive. I'm attaching a link to a Diet thread containing all types of diets to consider to help make symptoms more tolerable. Maybe there is something there you can find of use to you:
http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=32036

The support forum is also a good place to talk to others who might be feeling the way you do about the struggles of Crohn's.
http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Hoping you find peace and some additional comfort with your disease.....:hug:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi karlvb and welcome to the forum! :D

I'm sorry to hear about your life long struggle. We're all here for you anytime even if you just want to let off some steam and vent. :) Many members deal with depression and anxiety. There's a subforum for mental health here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77 Many of us have sought counseling and some take antidepressants and/or anti-anxiety medication to help us cope.

May I ask what treatment you're currently trying for Crohn's? Also have you seen a Rheumatologist for the joint pain? Even if you don't have RA Rheumatologists are extremely helpful even if your joint pain is caused by Crohn's.

Keep us posted on how you're doing. On the forum, none of us are ever alone. :ghug:

Hi Karl.... welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of great info and wonderful people here that are very supportive. I hope to see you posting here again soon!

<<sending you white healing light and good vibes>> :welcome:

:rosette1::rosette1::rosette1::rosette1::rosette1:

You might also consider looking at the cannibis forum area. It can offer some great relief, along with other meds you are taking for Crohns.

Hello Karl. Welcome to the forum. I think you will find that there are lots of really great people here who can understand what it's like to live with this disease like no one else can, really. I don't have all the answers, but I wanted to encourage you to spend some time looking around. It's a forum that is really patient-focused, so we're all here to support one another. I hope you find it as encouraging and helpful as I have. :hug:
Thanks saw dust thanks for the welcome; this forum seems very welcoming;and I really appreciate the messages of support and advice Kael vB:

Karl - have you tried the SCD diet at all? (Specific Carbohydrate Diet as recommended in "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall (paperback available from Amazon for instance). This has helped lots of people suffering from Crohns/ulcerative colitis/diverticulitis and other bowel complaints. It's probably explained on the Treatment Sub-forum if you would care to investigate. Very best wishes for improvement in health and happiness.
Thanks Mholt; some years ago i tried the SCD i STUCK WITH IT FOR ABOUT 18 MONTHS and didnt get the benefit I thought I would; I was exceptionally strict and adheared with the diet to the letter...... not an easy thing to do as you are probably well aware. I feel this time around given my poor state that the SCD may well have some benefits and may consider it again. Hope you are well KarlvB