• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ileo and prep...

Hi all, hope all are well out there.

I've just been to pick up my prep for a scope thats scheduled for Weds (CD really has gone haywire) They're doing the 'traditional' up my bum route, as well as de-flowering Ozzie :yfaint:
Prep of choice is Picolax- 2 sachets to be taken tomorrow. Now I've taken this loads of times before, never had any problems with it, BUT knowing how quickly it acts, and how vicious it can be, how do I deal with Oz? I'll never be able to change a bag running like it would if its coming out my arse end. The only 'logical' thinking I have, is to forget a bag and just sit with Oz in a bucket (as much as is possible) and just let it pour into that.

Does anyone have any other alternatives? I'm sure my bucket method would be good if I sat down on my bum ALL day, but at some point I'm going to have to move, and the logistics become a bit more complicated!!
How did you guys deal with your Ileo's and prep...:sign0085:

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
And xxx

Nyx

I just hung over the side of the toilet and I stopped eating the day before my prep so that I wouldn't have much output anyway. It actually wasn't that bad. I like your bucket idea though, probably much more comfortable than hanging off the toilet...lol

Crohn's Mom

I have no helpful advice for you, as Gab hasn't had to do that yet.
I just wanted to say how absolutely lovely it is to see you posting !
We miss you around here ! :)
I hope they get the CD under control quickly.
Much love,
~T~

Terriernut

Well, being the bona fide rebel that I am....I didnt take the stinking prep! Stan was deflowered, the scope was fine, and if the surgeon doing it suffered any thing....WAS I BOTHERED?? Nooooooooooooooooo. As things go straight thru me anyway...all she had to worry about was bits of spinach from the stuffed ravioli the night before. The scope was perfectly clear without drinking drain cleaner thank you very much!

As I was watching the whole thing I could see clearly, and so could she. Just dont eat much and drink more fluids instead for the day or so ahead. And if you do decide to take the prep...you certainly wont need all of it. It's not like we have MILES of bowels to go thru after all is it?

I must say I enjoyed every minute of agravating that scope person. (the very surgeon who has been putting off my hernia surgery!!!) And Stan was a very good boy and gave her some proper screaming farts to the face! Muuuuuuuuuuuuaaaaaahhhhahhahahhaaaaaaa!!!!!
:ylol2:

Terriernut

Hows that bucket working? I'll be having that before surgery 7th september. Hang in there Welshy! Xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

I was told by my stoma nurse and surgeon on separate occasions to tell anyone ever offering me any prep for a scope that I had an ileo and therefore I shouldn't take it because it could cause serious dehydration issues. My surgeon said that simply fasting for around 12 hours should mean the intestines are clean and ready to scope.

I'm quite amazed they'd use prep for someone with an ileo, unless they didn't realise you had one and just were dishing out the standard stuff.

So as Misty said and experienced herself, you probably have had no need to take it in the first place.

Watch out on the dehydration front and good luck with the scope!

Executive decision made- no 2nd dose! This isn't fun anymore lol
Drinking galons and trying hard to stay hydrated. Have even now turned to the Dioralyte. 2pm tomorrow can't come quickly enough!!

Terriernut

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

A very very wise executive decision! :ycool:

Well I can most certainly recommend my prep- so much so that it washed away my Crohns!! This morning I woke with CD, tonight I no longer have it!!
Still trying hard to figure this one out!!!!

Nyx

lol...I didn't have signs of Crohn's after my scope either...turns out they're a good thing!!! Who'da thunk it???

Terriernut

Well I can most certainly recommend my prep- so much so that it washed away my Crohns!! This morning I woke with CD, tonight I no longer have it!!
Still trying hard to figure this one out!!!!
Oh oh. That means the scope was clear. However, correct me if I'm wrong but doesnt crohns affect the exterior of the bowel as well? But if the scope is clear, what is causing all the CD symptoms? You havent secretely been eating popcorn every day have you? LOL!

ameslouise

That is just beyond bizarre! I am so confused for you!!

And I am suprised that they even made you prep at all for the scope. The whole time i had my j-pouch, they never made me prep. Only clear liquids the day before and nothing after midnight.

And they made you wait til 2 pm for the scope??? The bastards!

Keep us posted!! xo -Ames