• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ileocolic resection still hurts. How Long Already?

First of all you are not a bother!! I am sorry you are still in pain. I have not had that surgery yet, I am having it march 7th. So I'm not much help. I just wanted you to know that I am praying for you. There is a lot of great folks here who can aswer your question. Everyone's healing is different.
Have you talked to your doctor about your concerns?

I am 4 weeks out on my surgery, my incision spot still hurts too slightly gets better everyday though so I would ask your doctor. I am going to bathroom a ton and have not had a normal BM yet. When are we suppose to feel better I still feel like I have crohns!!

I am 4 weeks out on my surgery, my incision spot still hurts too slightly gets better everyday though so I would ask your doctor. I am going to bathroom a ton and have not had a normal BM yet. When are we suppose to feel better I still feel like I have crohns!!
Are you cramping or is it just the diarrhea that makes you feel like you have crohn's?

nogutsnoglory

You are still fairly fresh out of surgery. Some people take several weeks to fully heal. Have you discussed this with your surgeon? You might want to revert to a low residue diet if your intestines are still raw and healing. At this point the intestines should be ok but the surgery was a shock to your body.

Hi sorry for the late reply! I saw my doctor last week and he told me everyone heals differently and it just takes time. I was told to be patient because it is a healing process. So we will see...hope you are feeling better soon as well!

This all sounds pretty familiar.... I had my surgery a year ago (Laprascopic) - and it really *did* take about 8 weeks for me to feel "normal" and then about 2 - 3 months to get back up to full steam. I can imagine an open surgery might take a little longer. I would certainly recommend a more Low Residue approach to diet, until your bowel is fully healed and back up to speed. Digesting meat is actually quite difficult for the gut! Also, please don't underestimate the need for rest - I went back to full time work *way* too early (six weeks post-surgery).

Itsme2 - hey, it's not a competition! ;-) Just do what you need to do to get better. Believe you me, rest up whilst you can, 'cause you'll be back on the "treadmill" soon enough! Best wishes and wishing you (a more) speedy recovery. Will keep posting with my progress too(!).

Itsme2 - I had open surgery for strictureplasty on ileum 6 months ago. My wound took about 15 weeks to fully close as I had an infection. In terms of recovery some days u feel a bit better and some u go back to feeling crappy. Take it slow and as others are saying a lighter diet may be beneficial.

You must continue to rest I was sleeping 14/15 hours a day for up to 8 weeks after surgery and I'm usually an 8 hours a night sleeper. But my body needed it. You mentioned tightness a few times - my abdomen is still tight today as abdominal muscles were ripped apart! This will take a long time to heal. Tightening feeling soon after surgery can often be a sign of the abdomen healing so try not to worry about that.

If by the sounds of it and the D you are experiencing you may still have a bit of a flare going on and hopefully the docs are treating this with medication??? If u are flaring it is very likely tht your body is going to take even longer to heal than a normal 'well' person.

Explain your symptoms to your GI and ask what you can do to maximise the healing process with your ongoing symptoms.

All the best

Itsme I am so sorry to hear all of this! Zantac really helps me with heartburn so hopefully it will help you. How scary that your incision is not healing! I have been lucky with that part of the surgery but still dealing w D I am also on a low residue diet are you on that diet also?

Tony that is so encouraging to hear your healing time! I will be 6 weeks next week and I am getting so impatient but hearing it takes longer than they makes me feel better. Did any of you have low back or joint issues with your crohns? If so did it go away after surgery and how long?

Itsme I hope you feel better!

No my back still hurts :( I have inflamation in my SI joints (sacroiltitis) My GI doc told me it should take time but my impatience has kicked in I have been dealing with a dull aching pain for two years now. Happy to hear your went away though!

Itsme - if you and your GI think you may be flaring then some meds would do no harm? I think it is definitely worth mentioning. RE the lower back pain - my back and bum were really sore for weeks. A combination of sitting/lying in the one position a lot of the time and being constantly sort of bent over due to the stomach wound.

Patience is key! just need to stick at it and thing will improve.