• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ileostomy for Crohn's - Remove Anus or NOT?

When you had ileostomy surgery for Crohn's Disease, did your surgeon remove your anus or leave it?

I've talked to two different colorectal surgeons and one of them says it should be removed, the other says it should not.

Thanks.

same situation here ,because the tail end was troublesome and only going to be worse, no chance of a re connection, but i will say and its just my opinion, if the tail end doesnt give you any trouble, problems, id think twice about a proctectomy, if i knew back then what i do now, i still sometimes think id be better off running back and fore to the toilet getting rid of mucus as it wasnt painfull, just bothersome, im 2 plus years on from a proctectomy and still have an open painfull wound, its a common thing to be a slow healer considering the wound site

gmm, when they do a proctectomy, they remove the rectum; not the anus.

When they remove your anus, rectum and sigmoid it's called abdominoperineal resection.

The surgeons are agreed on removing my rectum; but their opinions differ on whether keep the anus or remove it.