• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ileostomy obstruction, scared of a blockage!

I've recently had major surgery to resect some small bowel drain abscesses and repair my bladder. All to do with Crohn's! I just read hat onions, peppers, mushrooms and even sausages can obstruct an ileostomy which I was given three weeks ago. I ate all three yesterday for lunch and dinner thinking that if veg is well cooked and I chewed it well I was following a healthy varied diet. I'm now scared I've gone and screwed up the one thing keepin me healthy!Help!
How will I know if I'm obstructed are there any warning signs? What can I do to prevent it? I keep seeing bits of onion in my bag is this normal?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I'm curious where you read that those particular items can obstruct an ileostomy? That's the first I've heard of that (I don't have a stoma but its definitely the first time I've seen it mentioned on the forum). I know that foods that would normally make its way through faster such as fiber will cause a bottle neck type of effect if there's already a narrowing but that's as far as I've heard in that department.

If you did have an obstruction you'd likely feel pain and experience vomiting. You'd also pass no stool if it were a full obstruction but partial obstructions do allow a little food to pass.

Keep us posted on how you're doing. I know your thread is a few days old and I'm sorry you haven't gotten any responses until now.

If you have an ileostomy, then some of those foods are definitely on the 'potential for obstruction' list. I didn't think that onions and peppers are a problem, but sausages and mushrooms are more difficult. Mushrooms expand when it mixes and expands with stomach juices (as well as things like dried fruit), and if not chewed properly, can cause a blockage. Also be careful of corn, popcorn and Chinese vegetables. And anything with kernels.

The signs to look for are pain/cramps in the stomach, very liquidy output, nausea, vomiting. Your stoma may also swell and feel like it's vibrating.

Lay on your side in a fetal position (knees up)...a hot water bottle or hot bath might help. Slowly massage your belly, particularly around the stoma area. Keep drinking lots of water, Gatorade or other electrolyte replenishing drink.

If the pain gets worse, you NEED to get yourself to the hospital. There are risks involved with blockages and you don't want to take a chance. But you did chew well, so hopefully, nothing major is going on.

Good luck,

Kismet

Was just me worrying too much, I was fine in the end and junior (my stoma) is now behaving himself much better. But thank you for the device on what to avoid. I got to say I was a little upset I can't have pop corn any more. Looks like its hot dog and nachos at he cinema.

I blocked up my stoma once with a large slice of flourless orange cake. It had semolina AND ground almonds in it and they formed a lump about the size of a golf ball just inside my stoma. As the liquid squeezed its way out, the lump got progressively harder and harder...

I remembered what my stoma nurse had told me right at the beginning. She had said warm drinks (so I had lots of cups of tea), massage around the stoma area in a hot shower or bath (I chose the shower) - then if those don't work, go to ER.

Fortunately, they did work and the lump gradually broke up, with me constantly massaging it.

I have to say I now (since miss piggy was born) chew my food so much that I'm getting a sore jaw. Some where I read that if its soft enough to cut with the side of a fork it should be ok. The rest you need to chew chew chew, and nuts,seeds and skins are all out. Outside of that advice, and a small list from the Stoma nurse, I am winging it.

Terriernut

"Keep us posted on how you're doing. I know your thread is a few days old and I'm sorry you haven't gotten any responses until now. "

I am sorry, this thread didnt show up here in the stoma subforum until today!???? I check it all the time. Did it perhaps get moved from another area?

Glad to hear it's all passed now for you pointy ears! We just have to learn what works and what doesnt for us. Glad you didnt have issues with an obstruction, but as stated, you sure do know if you have an issue with pain and vomiting and no stool passing.

I got a minor blockage shortly after my op after eating corn on the cob. I just got stomach cramps like trapped wind for half a day and then I got a sharp pain in my stoma and then a bag full of sweetcorn!! You'll be pleased to hear that it's not happened again despite eating practically everything! If you are unsure of a food, then just make sure you chew it all throughly before swallowing!

Glad your are doing okay and not obstructed. It's probably a good idea to stay away from mushrooms and veg with skins like peppers, tomatoes, corn, etc. for a little while longer while your bowels get adjusted and more healing takes place with your stoma. Not that you can never have them again, but when you do try them, do it a little at a time until you can determine if there is going to be a problem or not.