• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ileostomy Reversal - Two Stages? How Long is Recovery?

Hi

it coming up to 11 months now that i have had my ileostomy where i removed 80cm of the large bowel. i met with my surgeon a couple of weeks ago who is willing to do the reversal in 2 stages because he is very happy that i have gained weight and my general health is very good. He wants to do an ileorectal anastamosis first and keep a loop ilesotomy so the anastamosis from the small bowel to rectum can heal because apparently it is at a greater risk of leaking due to the different size of large to small bowel connection and the less blood vessels in the rectum which makes it longer to heal.

all this is subject to go ahead based on

1. my GI doing an ileoscopy and colonsocopy to check for crohns and being no change since last scope 6 months ago

2. my billrubin coming down (currently 65 to 100, normal range 20 - elevated after starting inflixmab) because my PSC (primary sclerosis cholangitis) has been getting worse to the point where i may need to start thinking about getting a transplant

has anyone else done the reversal in 2 stages? how long between stage 1 and 2?

how long did it take to recover after surgery?

how many times do you go to the loo? im really feeling so great now that i am a little worried that i may not feel as well after the reversal but i really want to give it a go.

im worried i may get the urgency, my life ruled by being close to the loo at all times and being less social. we are also trying to start a family so i am worried if i do get worse this may make it harder..

im just hoping that this is not the case because most the disease was removed during my sub total colectomy and i have been feeling and looking great.

thanks for letting me rant and hope to hear some views.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terriernut

I can understand the two stage process in your case. Definetely better safe than sorry! There are some threads here about reversals, and in the surgery subforum.

I personally havent had a reversal yet, so I cant give you advice yet on it.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I see you requested additional support. I've never had a stoma before so obviously no reversal but I've seen many people on the forum who have had theirs reversed and I don't recall them saying that they regret it or that they're worse off. Most are quite glad to have it done. I hope it goes well. Keep us posted. I know I'm not much help but at least my post will bump your thread for others to see. :) I'll see if I can edit your thread title to try and get some more replies that way as well.

I've not had an ilieostomy (yet!) but I have looked after many people who have....in my experience recovery from reversals generally seem to be quite quick providing there are no post-op complications and usually need only 2 or 3 days in hospital afterwards.
Not sure what recovery is like once out of hospital but I think if you are generally healthy prior to surgery and things have been straightforward it should be quite quick.
I'm sure there are loads of members who have had reversals and can give you first hand experience, good luck with everything :)