• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Illeostomy & alcohol?

I have a Illeostomy with high water output most of the time. Is there any alcohol drinks that I can drink that will not cause higher out put than what I have now? I've tried beer, whiskey & coke but find myself emptying the bag more often than usually. Any advice will be much appreciated. 😃

I have only had wine a few times since having an ileostomy placed. It didn't cause higher output for me personally (and I only had 1 glass on two different occasions), but because of the high sugar content, it may still be a problem for you.

I think just about any alcohol can cause higher output with an ileostomy.

Yes I'm finding that out doesn't matter what I drink I get higher out put. Tried baileys & kaula & milk same problem :(

I am about to have ileostomy soon...when you say you have higher output with drinking...how often do you have to empty your pouch? Can you sit through a meal in a restaurant if you empty before going out?

DJW

Forum Monitor
There are multiple factors that go into output.
Amount of remaining intestine, disease activity, and diet.

I don't have much intestine left so a normal day for me is a lot for others. A drink doesn't bother me but several beers will. In all honesty I'm a one drink person. Sometimes I need to get up during a meal and sometimes I don't.

I have about a metre and a half. I empty 10-12 every 24 hours.
Mine goes from watery to paste depending on what I eat.

Fast food - I might as well eat it on the toilet. I don't eat fast food.
Steel cut oats are great at slowing things down for me...I don't have a problem with the fiber.
Too much sugar bothers me.
There is some trial and error involved.

Almost all alcohol shoots through me pretty fast! Like others have mentioned above, the fullness in the bag might be due to the amount of sugar in alcohol. Alcohol that tends to have lower sugar are spirits---gin, vodka, whiskey. Try to drink them neat or on the rocks. Cocktails tend to have loads of sugar so it'll fill your bag up faster. Even tonic water for gin and tonic adds to the sugars in a drink.

If I'm going out, I usually stop drinking about 45 minutes before leaving and empty my pouch just as I'm heading out. I also eat potato chips while I'm having drinks to try to slow things down.

And yummy Baileys? I only tend to drink liqueurs at home, close to my own bathroom!

Cheers,

Kismet

Interesting about the sugar in alcohol, I tried a small glass of stout and had high output for two days !.
White wine has been ok, but I only had one glass.