• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm having a baby.....

Yup...that's about it! Just found out this morning that i'm pregnant! I'm so excited....numb....not really sure!! Obviously i'm extremely excited, as we really want children, but the timing's not perfect.....but that's ok! Everything happens for a reason, right? Anyways, yeah....Just had to share with my crohnie buddies!! Just dont' say a word on facebook please, as we haven't told our families yet. :)

For the ladies out there, how did pregnancy affect your crohns?

Congrats! I haven't had any kids yet, but I've heard more than one story of IBD symptoms getting a lot better during pregnancy - I hope this happens for you!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGGGGG!!!!
Congratulations!!!
It's a love that can't be explained until it happens. I hope you feel fabulous throughout the whole thing!

Oh Tam I am just so excited for you!! Having kids is the best thing that ever happened to me. I wish health,happiness, and a smooth road for the three of you.:congratualtions: :applause: :applause:

Nyx

Congratulations!!! I don't have kids so can't comment, but my stepkids are a blessing :) Hope it goes smoothly for you!

Big CONGRATS Pam am very happy for you both!!

Very exciting time for you, I hope all goes well and your health improves over the pregnancy.

I would be also interested to know how others have gone during their pregs as Im hoping that we will start trying towards the end of the year if my health stands up over the next few months as I have been in remission well I think its remission for 6 weeks now!!

Congrats again Pam.. good luck hun.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Pam, best wishes!! So when is the due date? I am good at picking the day, ask Dan M lol. I wasnt dx when I was pregnant but had some symptoms and they were fine. Having my daughter was the happiest time of my life! Congrats!

Thanks so much everyone for the best wishes. :) We are so excited, I have a feeling it's going to be a long 8ish months! :p

Not sure of the due date at this point...I honestly can't remember when I had my period last (oops!), but figure probably due some time in November.

Congrats! Many women find they feel their best when pregnant. I felt wonderful for my pregnancy. I hope you do too!

I volunteer for a breastfeeding support group. Feel free to ask me anything when the time comes. I even have access to The Dr Thomas Hales Book of Medicine and Mother's milk, which has a list of medications and their risks in breastfeeding.

ameslouise

This is wonderful news! Take good care of yourself and enjoy 9 months of people treating you like a queen!

Congratulations! - Amy

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
Congrats Pam! You know my cousin who also has Crohn's said getting prego was the best thing to happen to her. Got her out of a flare for a couple years.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Ha, November... believe it or not out of 24 of us (sibs, neices, nephews and great ones too) there NO November babies lol... but I still need to guess after your first ultrasound lol.

Congrats!
With my first I had not been diag. yet but did have stomach issues. They pretty much went away durning the pregnacy. I wasnt as luck with my 2nd. In the beginning I had issues with losing weight and had to go on entocort briefly during 2nd trimester. Everything turned out fine and I had a healthy baby!! I was on remicade through the pregnancy as well.

Astra

Congratulations Pam
great news

I was only dx 5 years ago, symptoms for 15 years, and my kids are nearly 19 and 16 now, but I was really well thro both pregnancies and sailed thro, and didnt know that I had Crohns, but honestly felt ok.
There is nothing like your own baby to make your heart go twang!
You are gonna be a yummy mummy!
Just enjoy and take it easy, you'll be fine
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Well, saw the doc today to confirm, and got some bloodwork. I have a dating ultrasound tomorrow. :) Going to try to wean off the pred (On 10mg. right now) and see, and if things flare up, then i'll be staying on it for the duration. Thanks again for the congrats everyone. :)

Congrats:) I had a baby 18 months ago and was fine the entire pregnancy. Afterwards I developed a r-v fistula, and also numerous vulvar inflammations that I believe are what is referred to as metastatic crohn's disease. Whether or not it had anything to do with pregnancy and birthing a child, I don't know what to think about that.
I did read in numerous places that people with IBD tend to have smaller babies. My little girl was 20 inches and 5pounds, 14 ounces. She was long, but very skinny, so for me, that was definitely true. She has since shot up to the 80th percentile in weight and 75th for height, so she didn't stay tiny!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
girn said:
Congrats:) I had a baby 18 months ago and was fine the entire pregnancy. Afterwards I developed a r-v fistula, and also numerous vulvar inflammations that I believe are what is referred to as metastatic crohn's disease. Whether or not it had anything to do with pregnancy and birthing a child, I don't know what to think about that.
I did read in numerous places that people with IBD tend to have smaller babies. My little girl was 20 inches and 5pounds, 14 ounces. She was long, but very skinny, so for me, that was definitely true. She has since shot up to the 80th percentile in weight and 75th for height, so she didn't stay tiny!
Hmmm.. I had not heard of the smaller babies theory. My daughter was 5 pounds 14 ounces too! And my son (pre-diagnosis and symptoms) was 7lbs 15 oz. I had low amniotic fluid with her, so no idea if the sulfa meds caused that or if that contributed to her lower weight.
I also have a r-v fistula, but it wasn't due to the birth. It developed between children.
Congrats again, good luck with your ultrasound tomorrow!

I have read somewhere that it is preferred to do a c-section on people with Crohns then a natural birth as the stress and strain on the body can cause issues? Not sure if this is true or not.

S

seb

Congrats. i have 2 little ones, and they are great fun ! also i had very big babies.. i also have had a resection done many yrs ago, and managed to deliver both of them in quick natural labours..

Of course I told you all first! You are my Crohnie family. :) And safe, I know that word won't get out before i'm ready. :)

So, it appears i'm about 5 weeks, so pretty early....here I was worried I was closer to ten, shows how much I pay attn. to periods! Anyways, looks like according to that I'll be due early December, but i'll let the docs calculate that for me. :p LOL. Lines up pretty well with symptoms and such though. I have a small uterine bleed, but she said that's pretty normal, and I haven't had any spotting so i'm not too worried.

I've been feeling pretty good actually, the crohns seems to be more or less in check! Although I don't know if this weird tummy feeling is from the Crohns or the Pregnancy...LOL. It just feels really unsettled, if that makes sense. Not nauseous or anything, just unsettled. Hopefully things stay that way! I will continue to update, thanks again everyone for all the support and stories. :)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
The baby pool is on!

I am still guessing Nov 28th 2010

6lbs 13 ounces

I will put the sex of the baby as soon as you tell me if your hubby has a crop of hair or thinning on head and chest..;) can't give all my secrets away! :ylol2:

Last edited:
Jettalady said:
T

I am still guessing Nov 28th 20010
Pen, that was both of my grandfathers' birthday! My mom's dad was born on a Thanksgiving and weighed 11 lbs 12 oz. He joked that he was the turkey.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
:awe: Holy cow! My nephew (3rd born) was in Sept and he was 12 lbs! That is heavier than a 10 pin bowling ball! :ylol2:

merrywidow

mum with a dogdy tum
congrats,
baby wieght 6.2
date of birth 6 november, one day after fireworks night.
babys sex girl

Tan said:
I have read somewhere that it is preferred to do a c-section on people with Crohns then a natural birth as the stress and strain on the body can cause issues? Not sure if this is true or not.
If you have had fistulas they do not recommend vaginal birth. You can develop a anal-vaginal fistula if you tear during birth. You are also at higher risk for anal incontinance if you deliver vaginally. I had a c-section with my DD because I have a history of fistulas.

I will guess 6 lb 5 oz. Thats how big my baby was. lol.

Last edited: