• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm officially in the Humira club!

Well, took my 4 loading doses about 6 hours ago (all in the belly). Have stayed at home and made my husband stick around in case of bad reactions. I think I'm past the scary possible ones like anaphylaxis, so I'm really excited and VERY hopeful that today is the start of a remission!

One quick question though: How long does it take to detect specific reactions? None so far, so have my fingers crossed. No lethargy or fatgue which sounds common. Could those come tomorrow?

Ive been posting on the forum all day since I just had to hang around and see what happens :lol2:

I've been in my current flare for about a year now. I was crushed when my last colonoscopy showed major problems for two feet above the terminal ileum where I had a resection in 2001. Also have a stricture there, but that can be fixed or taken out. The Doc thinks it's active Crohns doing the narrowing, so I'm gonna try this to stop the bowel obstructions I've been having. Think I'll end up having surgery anyway, but trying to save as much bowel as possible. (Please no increase in the already bad diarrhea!) :ybatty:

Anyway, wish me luck, and I can't TELL you how much this forum has helped me with all this and my decisions.

Welcome to the club!

Although I don't know the specifics about reaction time, I would think it would be fairly quick for your body to react.

I wish you the best of luck, hopefully you will have the same wonderful words told to you by your doc......"you are in remission and there is NO imflammation in your ileum"!

Cheers!

Honey

Staff member
Hi there,
I hope your treatment settles things and you feel better. You have not had an easy time in the past. Wishing you well.

Welcome to the club!

Although I don't know the specifics about reaction time, I would think it would be fairly quick for your body to react.

I wish you the best of luck, hopefully you will have the same wonderful words told to you by your doc......"you are in remission and there is NO imflammation in your ileum"!

Cheers!
For me it took about 10 weeks on Humira before I saw a difference, but some people start feeling better after only a few days.....

Thank you all for your kind words and wishes.

As an update, I THINK I see just a bit of improvement. I was able to eat something other than potatoes yesterday. I have a rumbling belly today, but nothing got stuck like it has for the last two weeks and no bleeding today. I believe there is a long way to go, but I'm hoping for those magic words also.

For the next part of the Humira journey, I have to keep a close eye out that the yeast I have that is resistant to all meds doesn't go crazy, and also that my liver enzymes don't go up like they did on Imuran, or that the pancreatitis doesn't return.

One other question though: do you try to stay out of crowds or stay away from sick people? I know infection is a constant worry with Humira. How much does that affect your lives?

Thanks again!

One other question though: do you try to stay out of crowds or stay away from sick people? I know infection is a constant worry with Humira. How much does that affect your lives?
I get along as normal with Humira, but I try and stay away from people with bugs just to be safe. I hate people coughing lots when I'm stuck in a queue with them, but these things are inevitable.