• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm pregnant with crohns! Advice please?

Hello, I'm 5 almost 6 weeks pregnant. And I was just diagnosed with crohns in January and had surgery in feb and had some of my small intestines and colon removed. Has anyone else been pregnant with crohns. Is everything going to be okay? What can I do to make sure my baby doesn't miscarry? Is there over a 50% chance I'll miscarry? Or is it a slight? I'm just real worried ... Please help

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi shelby_bowman10 and welcome to the forum! :D Congratulations on your pregnancy! :)

I haven't heard of there being a 50% chance of miscarriage. Are you on any medications for Crohn's? We do have a section for members who are try to conceive or breastfeeding etc here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45 Hopefully you'll find some answers there. :)

afidz

Super Moderator
I have yet to get pregnant but from what I hear from others is that pregnancy really helps their disease and has no effect on the baby. Obviously get your GI and your OB/GYN on the same page and in communication with each other so everyone knows where you stand and whats meds you are on or what complications you are having. And, like Jennifer said, check out the parents trying to conceive thread, they will really be able to give you the advice and support you need, congrats on conceiving!

Hi, I have Crohn's disease and I have a beautiful wee girl, my crohns flared whilst I was pregnant and I commenced steroids and had to be induced at 36 weeks! My wee girl is perfect and the steroids did not effect her in any way, I should also say that at that point I was also taking omeprazole and mesalazine. Not the drugs I'm on now. My consultant explained to me that a third of people's crohns get better during pregnancy, a third stay the same and a third get worse, sadly I got worse.
Hope your ok and make sure you get plenty of rest!