• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm So Fatigued

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Can't seem to drag myself out of bed in the mornings. Been working long hours but still...it's 9am and i feel like taking a nap already. I'm such a grump. :)

I know the feeling well... except I aint working at the mo.
Actually, today, I feel vaguely normal like human. Can't last, it hasn't this past 2 months now.

Anyway. Take it easy! (yeah I know... easier said than done).

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
iron and b-12. good idea. I see the doc tomorrow and will ask about that. thanks, pen - glad to see you back.

beth - i remember your post on fatigue earlier. it sucks, doesn't it?

My fatigue is insane. I feel like death a majority of the time and I count the hours until bedtime only to wake up feeling the same -- I definitely feel your pain.

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
Why is it that people don't understand that I'm exhausted - not tired? It's not because I didn't sleep well last night... or I'm just feeling a little tired today... it's fatigue!!! It's pure exhaustion!! I'm almost falling asleep at all hours of the day. I pass out at night. I'm not just tired!!!!!!!!!!!!

Santos61198 said:
Why is it that people don't understand that I'm exhausted - not tired? It's not because I didn't sleep well last night... or I'm just feeling a little tired today... it's fatigue!!! It's pure exhaustion!! I'm almost falling asleep at all hours of the day. I pass out at night. I'm not just tired!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amen to that x's 1000000000000!

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
No kidding! I always hated it when my ex would occasionally say "c'mon you lazy ass, get out of bed and conquer the day"

Santos61198 said:

hehe! That's so true! :) I get fed up of people at my work saying "Should get to bed earlier" when I'm resting my head on my desk! They just don't understand what it feels like...

I find that as the working week goes on (mercifully, only four days long in my case) I end up going to bed earlier and earlier... sometimes as early as 7.30 at night, which is plainly ridiculous. Then I have to spend a fair portion of my (3 day) weekend just recovering enough to start the whole process over again. There has to be more to life than this. I've been tested on the iron/B12 thing, and probably anything else you can think of.
However, I'm still not sure how much is my body/crohns and how much is my head. I've been on anti-depressants before, so I'm not sure if I can rule out a mental component to all of this.
I notice also that it's difficult to describe this fatigue. It's not just feeling tired is it? It's not even feeling very tired. Sometimes I'd say I actually feel weak, as if it's difficult just to move at all, but as I also suffer from peripheral neuropathy (affecting my legs), they really are difficult to move. Maybe that affects my mental state as well.
This is turning into a vent... I'm signing off now!

I had my best day in months on sunday... having recently started mega- iron supplements. My haemoglobin count was only marginally low, but I suggested it to my GP and he thought it was worth a try. Yesterday was pretty good too. I managed a 10mile walk with the dog, but think it has caught up with me a bit today!

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
Wizbit said:
hehe! That's so true! :) I get fed up of people at my work saying "Should get to bed earlier" when I'm resting my head on my desk! They just don't understand what it feels like...
So so true....

And Wizbit, I just want to say that I LOVE your avatar!!! :D

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
beth said:
I had my best day in months on sunday... having recently started mega- iron supplements. My haemoglobin count was only marginally low, but I suggested it to my GP and he thought it was worth a try. Yesterday was pretty good too. I managed a 10mile walk with the dog, but think it has caught up with me a bit today!
Oh wow, Beth - that's awesome! I'm done after 4 miles! Good for you, girl :)

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
I try so hard for my husband... he's such a social person and loves to just be out. I do try my best. He knows that and I know he appreciates it. But sometimes when I'm exhausted and I know he wants to be out, I feel awful saying I'm too tired, so I go out anyway. Just makes me more tired in the end. I know he doesn't want that, but I feel like I have to in my own head.

I've been in the same bout many times, i know i sucks. Someone already mentioned b12 and iron. Another common cause of fatigue a lot of crohn's have is low thyroid levels. This was the case for me after covering b12 and iron. Ask your doc to check your TSH levels. Other than that it could be that you're just not absorbing your nutrients... It will get better, we all have those ups and downs unfortunately.

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Update:
Had b12, iron, TSH, etc. checked and results came back this afternoon. All good. Maybe I'm just a lazy ass?

J

JillianB82

fenway1971 said:
Update:
Had b12, iron, TSH, etc. checked and results came back this afternoon. All good. Maybe I'm just a lazy ass?
No comment from the peanut gallery ;)

farm

Captain Insaneo
fenway1971 said:
Update:
Mine came back fine as well; except for hemo was at 9. I still went to GNC and got some B-12 1,000mcl pills. Take 1 a day and you will feel the difference!!