• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm so glad I found this place!

Hello. My name is Jen. I'm 35 years old and I live in Virginia. Here is my story.

I've had digestive issues going on 8 years now. I've always been prone to upset stomach/diarrhea when I get really stressed out. I was diagnosed with IBS with constipation in my early 20's, but that seemed to go away after making some huge changes in my lifestyle.

I never really thought it was anything really serious until this past December. I guess I knew there was something wrong with me, but I had learned to live with it by taking Imodium whenever I had a problem. I lost 30 pounds at the onset of my problems, which I didn't mind one bit! LOL

Beginning December 20th was the worst 2 weeks I've ever had since the diarrhea started. My abdomen would bloat so bad I couldn't even wear regular pants. Only leggings. I even had to buy new jeans. I was in a constant state of discomfort and outright pain on some days. I awoke a couple of times during the night with the worst spasms/pain I've ever felt in my upper abdomen. The first time I thought I needed to go to the ER, but the pain went away with Ibuprofen.

The diarrhea was....unrelenting this time. I went so much I started to get sharp pains in my rectal area with bleeding. This got my attention. I went to see my GP and he sent me to a GI.

I'm scheduled for my colonoscopy on March 4th. I'm terrified. The fear of the colonoscopy is what kept me from going to see the doc in the first place, but it's something I can no longer ignore.

I'm in some level of discomfort/pain every day now. I always feel bloated. I'm still struggling with what I feel is a anal fissure. I'm really hoping that heals before the colonoscopy. I'm doing the sitz baths every day.

I'm about 80% certain it's Crohn's. I asked the GI what he thought it was, and I got the usual "I need to do the procedure first" answer. Luckily I LOVE the GI doc. He's got the same dry, extremely sarcastic sense of humor I do.

I'm so glad to find a forum like this! This is a subject that no one wants to talk about but talking about it is crucial. I'm already struggling with depression and rarely leave my house but for work and some social activities. Nowhere near as social as I used to be.

I really feel for some of you after reading your stories and experiences. I hope I can get this under control soon.

Anyhoo, that's me. You'll be seeing me around a lot as I learn more about IBD.

Hello Jen and:welcome: there is lots of support and information about on this forum so you definitely came to the right place. Keep us posted on your colonoscopy.

David

Co-Founder
Hey there and welcome to the community. First off, let's hope you're wrong about the Crohn's disease and it turns out to be something a little more easily treatable! :) But if you're right, you've definitely found the right place.

While you wait for that colonoscopy, please do not take anymore ibuprofen. If it is Crohn's, ibuprofen is a BIG no no.

Please keep us updated!

*hugs*

Hi and welcome. I suffer(ed) from anxiety and sometimes depression, but I have discovered that it is directly related to flaring and stress. Have your doc check your vitamine levels as being low in B12, D, and others can truly affect your mood. I found that by adding the vitamins I was low in completely changed my moods and I was able to wean myself from Zanax which is an anti-anxiety drug. I have to be very careful and not neglect this care or you will find me hanging with the dustbunnies under my bed. lol