• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm South African, struggling to get diagnosed. What else could be happening?

Good day folks,

I'm new to the forum, or more accurately newly signed up. I've been using this forum to try to diagnose myself. So please delete this if it isn't appropriate to the forum.

I've gone for Colonoscopy and Endoscopy with biopsy. All they found was mildly erosive gastritis. My doctor sent me for tests after feeling swelling in my abdomen. A sonar showed fluid around my bowel and thickening which my GI said is a very inaccurate way to view the colon. The fluid could apparently be a cyst that popped? Hence the scopes that followed.

Also last year I had 2 bloody BM's. My doctor tested my stool a week later for occult bleeding and it tested positive. We tried anti-biotics and a few weeks later tested negative for occult bleeding. I had no pain at this stage.

I've been having permanent burning first at both sides just above my navel. Before I had more pain to the left, now its persistently burning in my right side (my appendix looks fine). I don't have diarrhea nor frequent bowel movements. 8 months later I still am far from myself. I used to love being active but now too much activity causes the burning to worsen. Some days are better than others. I have realized that alcohol can cause the pain to double. While I'll have maybe two drinks, I feel good but a few hours later I need to lay down. This carries over to the next day.

The points of pain are also very localized to certain areas. My doctor says IBS wouldn't cause burning and swelling and I would have relief after a BM. My BMs dont smell too fantastic- not that I've heard of a fragrant poo :ylol: I occasionally have flatulence that feels relieving.

I've tried deworming- this caused pain.
I've tried probiotics- this caused pain.
I've tried cutting out Gluten and Dairy, can't say there's a difference.

Currently trying Siberian Pine Nut Oil to soothe things but I can't say if it is helping.

I don't use NSAIDs or medication in general. Maybe a health supplement here and there. I eat relatively healthy. What else could possibly upset the bowels like this and for so long? How could I go about eliminating certain causes? I've read that there are cases of Crohns with predominantly abdominal pain in the small intestines and will try to get a pillcam next year but my country's healthcare (while very costly) is very limited. I've exhausted all my funds.

The burning can also feel like pressure (like tightening) and sometimes like stiff muscles, occasionally I feel itching. If it is Crohns are there things I could try that would give me relief? Or things that would cause severe pain?

10/09 I thought I'd update that I've noticed I now have a painful swollen lymph node in the back of my neck.. Previously I had one lower that wasn't painful but is slowly going away by itself (been about 3 weeks now). Could this be related?

Also been trying some marijuana oil, while its helped for the pain, its not doing much else except making my job a bit more difficult to do :D :D

Last edited: