• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I'm worn down from coughing

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Day 75 of my cough. Frigid cold out and cough is worse today.

Allergy meds, inhaler, vitamin A and C slams, every cough med under the sun, humidifiers, even moonshine...nothing kills it or offers even a day of relief.

I'm frustrated, tired from coughing and feeling down. I can't speak a sentence without coughing. Clients, friends, family all think I sound like a lung cancer patient.

Chest xrays and all tests normal.

Shoot me. I'm at a point where I'd rather be flaring. Yes. That bad.

Vent over. I feel better. Sort of. Ok, not really.

Oh Fen, that's a Loooong time to have a cough! Sorry to hear that. But really, would you rather be flaring??!!

I hope it gets sorted as I imagine it is very frustrating. Can't give any advice really as you seem to be doing the right things with inhalers and such. No answers from the doctors? You feel okay otherwise?

((((BIG KIWI HUGS))))

mwb3779

Kitchenhawk
Fen

Could you possibly have something going on in your throat with inflamed tissue more than just the GERD? I've heard Crohn's can go up into your throat and mouth. I wish you all the best and to get better soon.

Ah man..didn't realize you were already doing the inhaler. Didn't we already talk about this stuff over coffee? What did my man say - I can't remember. I think you said something about a steroid shot - what about that? Or even a super short taper just to see if it will make a difference? I know you don't want to do that - I'm just curious if it is actual inflammation or what. (mmm, sounds like I want you to be my guinea pig eh?). Does it mainly happen when you are outside or all....the....time?

I'm sorry buddy - wish I could make it go away for you :(

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Inhaled nebulizer with corticoid steroid...like Pulmacort??? My son goes on it from October through February otherwise he gets horrible coughing spells. Have you tried it yet. Is your inhaler a steroid??....Also, knock off the doobies for a while.....;)

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Pop - no I was given albuterol. Might try that though. Or a quick punch of pred since I had no cough last year when on steroids.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
It's time to change your bong water Fen!.....Also get a cool mist humidifier...(No vaporiser). It might help???

Have you tried a codeine syrup? That can be good for coughs.....
Sorry you're dealing with that, i can deffinately imagine that it is frustrating to no end.

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Thanks all...and no, I don't have a bong. :)

I did try a codeine syrup, Tamesis. And, Pop, I use a cool mist humidifier.

I called doc to see if he can prescribe a steroid inhaler. With my luck, I won't get in to see him for a few weeks.

I might recommend something with slippery elm in it. I've got these natural lozenges called Throat Releev from some company called Kal. The website is nutraceutical dot com. Bought mine local at a vitamin shop for 10 bucks. Works pretty good for when my throat is a wreck. Also, you could go with what singers recommend, water with lemon and honey. The honey helps coat the throat and is antibacterial. I use it too off and on. Of course, A little heat and some bourbon added to that and you got yourself a hot tottie, which is always good for a nasty throat...and helps you relax too. ;)

Now, there was a time when I got a cough and ragged throat real bad and the doc found that it was a yeast infection from one of the Crohn's meds. Might wanna have it checked out. Do you know if you have any little white bumps in the back of your throat?

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Yeah, I would think some steroids would kick that cough outta there for you. Hope you don't have to wait too long to get in to the doc.
If you think Dan's slippery elm suggestion might help, I have found it in a tea called Throat Coat. It's made by traditional medicinals, but I find it at my grocery store. http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/
Hope you get to feeling better so soon.

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
I'm on a four day prednisone blast to kill my cough. Went to docs and got nebulized which felt awesome.

Appears it's an allergy induced bronchiospasm. Not asthma, nothing else wrong with lungs. But, I'm going to try Zyrtec and was given a new inhaler. We'll see if that works. Fingers crossed that my cough is gone by Monday.

I may try slippery elm though. Thanks Dan and MBH!

Hope your feeling better soon bud! Carrie may have a point, lay off the spleefs and get a vaporizer easier on the lungs or so i hear..... hope you had a good holiday.

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
fenway1971 said:
I'm on a four day prednisone blast to kill my cough. Went to docs and got nebulized which felt awesome.

Appears it's an allergy induced bronchiospasm. Not asthma, nothing else wrong with lungs. But, I'm going to try Zyrtec and was given a new inhaler. We'll see if that works. Fingers crossed that my cough is gone by Monday.

I may try slippery elm though. Thanks Dan and MBH!
Good Fen, glad you pressed on for answers! Too bad it took 70-some days to get that answer though.

Just to clarify, I think slippery elm is more to soothe your throat from the coughing, not to help the cough itself.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
Jerman said:
Hope your feeling better soon bud! Carrie may have a point, lay off the spleefs and get a vaporizer easier on the lungs or so i hear..... hope you had a good holiday.
:ylol2: :ylol2: :ylol2: He knows I am only kidding him....

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
Coughing not as violent but it's still there. Last day of pred which seems to be helping - throat still tickly but at least I'm doing better and can acually talk without breaking into a hacking fit. Wish it would completely go away though.

Wonder if it is ur GERD anyway.. who knows. My throat has been "itchy" or some weird sensation when I breath for the past 3 days but only coughed once. it makes my back go out and it hurts like all hell broke lose. i wish that didnt happen. Trying to prevent a cough,

fenway1971

Sports Crohnie
My cough has disappeared. Got me some allergy meds which stopped a post nasal drip that was causing it. I feel great other than the colonoscopy prep I'm going through.