• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Immodium, can I take it?

So i have bad uc, start remicade next week...im on prednisone, asacol, flagyl, etc....im having a rough morning and been in tue can like 5 times already....i have some things i have to do today like coach athletic games!!! Can i take some ammodium ad to kinda stop me up for a bit??? Or is this a real bad idea? I appreciate it....

Hi Cmk,
Welcome!!! I'm sorry but I can't answer this, but I'm looking forward to the answers you get (and you will get lots) b/c I am starting to get very, very nervous about going on vacation in 5 days, being on a plan for hours and going on some excursions that don't have access to b'rooms (what was I thinking...) Of course, the more I worry, the more often I am hitting the can. I've been in the house for the last 3 days b/c it's been so bad. My doc told me I could take Imodium when I told him I was going ziplining but at the time I wasn't as bad as I am now. I'm ready to take it for the better part of the trip. So, looking forward to your answers. I applaud you for coaching! I find myself shying away from activities that I loved so much just b/c there isn't a bathroom. Me, who used to hate public toilets now gets excited if there is a porta potty around! Good luck! :) Jan

I have tended to avoid using immodium, or similar, mostly because constipation would be really bad :poo:
However, recently I was staying with at friend, over Easter, and was so embarrassed with my use of the toilet and it just got worse :(

I asked my GP whether it was okay to use diacalm, immodium etc. and she said that in circumstances like that it would be very appropriate.
So I think it's okay to use such a drug with good reason but probably sparingly and when you really need to

Take Immodium and you run the risk of developing toxic megacolon. This could be potentially fatal. It's not that common, and usually happens with older folks, but the risk is still there. My GI said absolutely not when I asked him about taking Immodium.

Good luck

Terriernut

Take Immodium and you run the risk of developing toxic megacolon. This could be potentially fatal. It's not that common, and usually happens with older folks, but the risk is still there. My GI said absolutely not when I asked him about taking Immodium.

Good luck
Piatchi, I take it you suffer occasionally from constipation. Certainly alot of us DONT get constipation and take immodium on a regular basis without risk of toxic megacolon!

Many of us would love to NOT go to the loo 25+ times a day and immodium is a perfectly acceptable med to take for chronic 'D'.

Misty

My doc said it is OK for me, but everyone is different. Sometimes when I have little questions like that I call and speak with my GI's nurse.

Juliana

Well, like someone said, you are going to get lots of different answers with this question. I have pretty severe UC. I have bouts of going to the toliet +40 tthad a day. I have taken immodium before with no problems. This passed Friday I took on for a special occasion. I was in such horrible pain that I wound up in the ER. So, that's my story. Talk to your GI.
Good luck,
Michele

I've taken Loperamide(immodium) for 13 years now.I went on it permanent after right side hemi colectomy in 1998.Over the next 10 years my CD went from mild to severe again which resulted in another resection.As the CD slowly got worse the loperamide did nothing to stop the dreaded 'D'.No Dr ever told me to stop taking loperamide.
Now i am in complete remission i have to take loperamide due to the short bowel 2 resections have left me with.

I have severe Crohns with 10-15 movements a day. Constipation... no way.

The immodium thing is advice directly from my Gastro, since I asked too.

It is a risk, albeit small.

There's a risk that I might get in a car crash everytime I go to work, but I still do it! lol.

I take it if I really need it. I've had GI's suggest I take it before.

This topic seems to vary considerably..My main gastro has perscribed Immodium, Lomotil and Codeine Phosphate all to help stop the big 'D', yet my IBD consultant and his nurse refuse to perscribe these during flares for fear of toxic megacolon.
I was always lucky to have emergency supplies of all of the above from the main gastro involved and took them only when I needed to. Hated the side effects of the codeine but it did stop the big d in its tracks.
Just use with caution.