• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Immunity Foods

If you're on immunosuppressants and eat immunity foods is it counterproductive? Or are the foods working in a way that are unrelated to your body's immune response?

Well that makes two of us. That's one aspect of the disease I've never fully understood. There always seems to be some new theory that is slightly different than the ones previous.

Me too. I am not convinced about the OVERactive immune system. I think it may just be confused as opposed to overactive. That's why I like the idea of LDN but my GI won't even consider it :(

Yes it is confusing. But I guess if our immune system is attacking our bodies when it isnt supposed to then it is working too much and therefore over working? So suppressing the immune system stops it from attacking us too much. ? Am i making sense?
xxx

Yup, Holly you are making sense :) It's just that I don't think they KNOW for sure about the immune system being overactive. Some would say it is underactive (those who swear by LDN for instance). I haven;t had the energy to research this much yet, but, as I said, I am not convinced we are overactive (which is why I have been resistant to suppressing an already struggling immune system). My thinking is that it's just been thrown off its path, so to speak, and may need a bit of a nudge back in the right direction - confused ad opposed to underactive. Just my thoughts.

Yer I guess tht could make sense.
But isnt the reason why it doesn't think our immune system is us because our immune system cells don't have the little markers in them (like a bar code) to say that it is us. If tht is true then that would meen that the immune system is doing the right thing, and knows what it is doing. Only obviously not benefitting us in any way!! ?
xxx