• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Immunomodulators may not be necessary alongside stelara

In my experience, I used Stelara alone for a year, and then flared badly. After Methotrexate was added, I'm in remission again. But who knows for how long. I agree with the long term research. I think they tend to publish too soon.
National Institute of Health:
Frequent publication is one of the few powerful methods at scholar's disposal to demonstrate academic talent to peers. Successful publication of research brings attention to scholars and their institutions. This in turn may bring in more funding for the institute and also ensure an individual's progress through their field.

Scipio

I'm coming up on my one year mark on Stelara alone. So far so good. If I had to I might consider adding methotrexate, but I really do not want to go on azathioprine.

Scipio

No Not a bad experience. It's concern about risk. The risk of lymphoma induced by azathioprine goes up sharply after age 50 and way up even more after age 60. If I were say 30 years old I wouldn't be nearly as concerned.

Maya142

Staff member
MTX is used at tiny doses for Crohn's - usually the highest dose is 25 mg. For cancer, it's used in much, much higher doses - like 1000 mg and up.

Neurotoxicity is not usually a concern at the doses used for Crohn's. The common side effects are nausea, fatigue, mouth ulcers. They can be treated with Zofran (for the nausea) and folic acid for everything else.