• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Immunosuppressant in school

immunosuppressant in school

My son is on Humira. About a month ago we had a meningitis scare- turned out the little boy had whiplash that had been untreated for weeks.

Just curious if anybody has successfully managed having their school system notify if there is any unusual infection in the school. Doctor has suggested we open up a discussion with the school and they are responding with confidentiality and hand washing.

New drug- new concerns. Anybody been there?

Thanks in advance

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Zoodles! We have a very close relationship with many of the faculty at my son's elementary school so we are well informed in this regard. However, next year he will start middle school which is much larger and we don't know as many of the teachers there. If his white cell count becomes an issue, we may have to keep him away during any sort of widespread illness. So in our case it's more new school-new concerns but I know how you feel.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I have not had an issue with the school informing me of any infectious outbreaks at school. I don't buy the confidentiality crap because you are talking about easily contracted infection here, not an individual student with a disease that requires intimate contact in order to become infected. Therefore what is the issue with informing you that there is gastroenteritis, influenza, chicken pox, etc affecting students, they would not be naming names so I would like to know where the confidentiality comes into it. I would get a letter from the doctor and really take them to task on this. Good luck!

Dusty. :)

Thanks for the replies.

We moved into middle school and things have changed. Principal keeps telling me to cut the cord. Have a letter from the doctor and will keep working on it.

Astra

Principal keeps telling me to cut the cord.

What an ignorant pig!

Of course you need to be informed of infectious diseases such as TB and chickenpox, your child needs to stay off school til the outbreak is over. I work in a special needs school and they are very aware and have a duty of care to keep me safe! And I'm not a child!
Go to the pig and inform him of your rights!
good luck
xxx

I'm currently on humira and attending a university so I know the struggles! I've just been paying close attention and listening by word of mouth about who's sick and if it's spreading. Sometimes I'll even ask my professors as well. Carrying a small bottle of hand sanitizer could be very helpful! Also just be aware of who's coughing and just looks unwell.

I am a Nursery teacher and a few years ago we had a child who had cancer and was being treated with a variety of drugs and thus couldn't come in contact with infectious diseases. Whenever we heard about any such disease going around school we would phone his parents immediately and give them the decision about if they wanted him to come in or not.
This is not a matter of confidentiality but about your sons health! They should easily be able to support you on this.

I work in a primary school, we have a chart issued by the NHS which state we must inform 'vulnerable people' (immunosuppressed people and pregnant women) of certain diseases such as TB. I don't see why it should be any different elsewhere. Maybe you need to meet with the principal and point out it could be a matter of life and death. Also point out you are not asking for names or anything like that, so it won't break confidentiality.

I'm a teacher and I'd like to ring that principal's neck! We just met with my daughter's teachers, school counselor, principal, and office staff to discuss her newly dx'd Crohn's. They told me they're going to send an email to all 4th grade parents asking them to please let the school know right away if their child has strep, chicken pox, etc... because there is a student with a suppressed immune system (my Marilena). They never mentioned confidentiality b/c no names would be offered. Maybe try something along that route. They seemed pretty skeptical though about being able to tell me when a child is sick, b/c parents won't always say why and by the time they're dx'd, we've already been exposed...and they mentioned that she could catch stuff anywhere (grocery store..) I responded with, she doesn't spend 8 hours a day at the grocery store:)

I take immunosuppressants and work in schools with children with physical and health disabilities. I cover 15 different schools Pre-K- High school. My best friends are the secretaries. They sign out every kid who goes home sick and usually know which class they came from. They know the kids who have been out for a few days and usually what they have when their parents come in to get make up work. You can always talk in general terms so there are no confidentiality issues. It may even be worth signing him in a few minutes late one day to have a chance to get to know them a bit and explain your situation.

Im a school nurse (and part time ER nurse)
1) Have a meeting with your school nurse.
2) Ask for a care plan (you will have to get a new one every school year) the school nurse will fill it out, Dr will sign it, once this is in place IT IS THE LAW.......
3) SN will send this out to your kids teachers, they have to sign that they understand your childs issues.
4) In the CP ask that you be notified of any illness that will affect your child.
You have alot of rights...
If you need more help with this PM me and I can help you further.....
And to the principal who said to "cut the cord" I have a few choice words for him!!!
Good luck. Let me know how it goes

A nursing care plan is a great idea. If you are also concerned about abscences, extended time-lines for make-up work, or other educational issues, a 504 plan could be developed along with the care plan. It can also alloow for hospital/home services on an intermittent (or as needed basis) without having a waiting period (usually 10 days). As with the care plan, it requires a doctor's note, but a combination would provide double protection. Have the notification of infectious illness included in the 504 also.

Administrators can be real jerks sometimes (sorry you got one of those), but a meeting and drawing up the documentation is likely to get his attention.
Good Luck!

My husband works for Los Angeles Unified School District and he also suggests documenting everything.

He also said that if you're in the U.S., this could be considered an ADA issue, and to contact them about your son's situation-they can advise you on his rights and the school's responsibilities.
And for the sake of any other kids dealing with that principal, he should be reported for telling you to "cut the cord"!

Sorry haven't updated this. Had meetings with the school nurse who could not do anything until the principal approved. Went to the meet with the principal again- lost my temper- swore and insulted his intelligence. Never got to my documentation. I was an absolute beast. Guess who is now getting updates? Still shaking my head over the whole situation.

We are debating about doing the 504. Right now we are okay- but I want to get it on file for high school.

Sorry your SN was not helpfull.... first time I have ever heard of a principal approving a care plan....
In my state we have to report to the health department every week any communicable dx in the school system. They may be able to tell you if their is anything in your childs school. Very strange that the SN did not go to bat for you. I guess I just work with a different set of school nurses in my county. Perhaps you should remind her she is the patients advocate...... She may have forgotten. In my schools I fight for my kids. School staff don't always understand medical issues..... thats why schools have nurses.
So sorry.... don't give up

That's totally unacceptable! I think it's time to call a representative from the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you can't get cooperation from the school, they can make sure the law is enforced.

I know it's hard to be "that person", but I always think at least this way the next person won't have to go through what I went through.

AZMOM

Zoodles - We've had a 504 for two years and it has been a blessing. I strongly encourage you to go ahead and do that and part of what you can put in there is notification for illness.

Claire's Mom

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I might lose my temper too if someone told me to just cut the cord already. Sir, you just do not understand, lemme school you. :p

My schools were always very understanding of my condition and I never had to fight for anything that may make my life easier. How hard is it to give a heads up about a particular illness going around? They did that for lice screening when we were kids. If you can't get the info from the nurses then the next best place was through the students (in my case anyway). Being a student I could hear them talking about who was out of school with what and it was usually mono when I was in HS. So talk to your son and have them keep their eyes and ears open for now because word of mouth is powerful and have your son tell you about anything they hear.

I'm new to this Crohns thing. My son is 10 and is on Azathioprine 50 mg and Pentasa. I've been worried about him in school as we enter the winter months. Our GI doc said, "If he usually gets 2 colds a year, he'll get 3. Don't put him in a 'bubble' and don't worry". I didn't think I needed a phone call anytme another child was sick...do I? Have your kids caught every bug that comes along because of the immunomodulator drug? Ironically our son just had the stomach flu... instead of 3 days of it... he's missed 6 days so far.
Also, do your kids miss a lot of school (and they are at home well?)

Last edited:
My dr said about the same thing, she'll just get more colds and they'll last a lot longer...like your 6 day flu. The school has been emailing me if there are cases of pneumonia or strep in her class/grade. She really hadnt missed too much school before dx. It seems like she's missed a ton in the last couple of months for dr visits, tummy aches, etc. It did help to do a presentation to her class. We did a powerpoint and then let the kids ask questions... it really helped her feel more comfortable around them too. The kids are really good now about hygiene procedures when they come in the classroom.

My doctor said the same when he was on imuran. We watch his white blood count and he's pretty immuno compromised while taking the humira

I wish that things were different, but at least he's able to move around.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
@ Brian'sMom, My daughter has been on Imuran 50mg for 4 years, 3 years at school and 1 year living on campus at university. Over that time she has had very few infections and of those she has contracted she has been no worse than anyone else.

Dusty. :)