• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Immunosuppression and exercise

For those of you that are on immunosuppressants (specifically, I will be on Imuran and Remicade), do you find that excessive exercise compromises your immune system?

I will begin taking these drugs for the second time (after 5 years of remission, went off them b/c TTC). I don't remember that I had any issues with a compromised immune system in the past, but I am hoping to run a marathon in the fall and am wondering if my body will hold up to the stress.

theOcean

I would think that you should be fine as long as your illness is under control. That said: if you were on Remicade before, there's a high chance that in the time since you've been off of it you've developed antibodies to it. Try to get a test for it as soon as you can, because you may have to switch to another biologic (like Humira) instead.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi cookie. I commend you. I'm on Imuran and starting remicade soon. I walk and have been encouraged to do so by my GI. I can't see any reason to not push yourself and build up to a marathon. (but I'm no expert). As my strength increases so will my activity level. My goal is to start krav maga this summer.

Best wishes.

@theOcean- I am getting tested tomorrow for the antibodies. If I can't do it, I will be doing Humira.

@DJW-Thanks for the reply. My GI also encourages me to exercise. I don't think I would be able to get along with out it...it does so much for my mental state, which, we all know, can take a beating with this disease. I guess finding the balance between what is enough and what is too much is the key. Bets of luck with the krav maga!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
As long as you are physically fit and well enough, exercise shouldn't be a problem....I've been a volunteer firefighter for over 20 years, worked in pretty physical jobs too...the only thing that has slowed me down is having issues with my disease - I don't do anything differently since I started Remicade.