• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Importance of Flu Shot

Hello,

I want to share my story of how my Crohns went from mild to moderate-severe. I know many of us are opposed to the flu shot as I once was (or I just didn't find it necessary). I was diagnosed in February 2013 after having abdominal pains for about a year or two that would come and disappear for several months. Crohns barely affected my quality of life with the exception of some night sweats once in a while and urgency with certain foods. When diagnosed I was placed on pentasa 2000mg.

Everything was great, I was an active mom, wife and student. October 20, 2013 came and my son and I caught the flu. He recovered quickly. I thought I recovered and boy was I wrong. That flu set my Crohns off badly! I flared from that day til end of November. It was horrible. Joint pain, fever, chills, dizzy, tenesmus, diarrhea, weak, eye pain, light sensitivity, lower back pain, headache.

Well, the spinal pain never left me and got so bad I had to drop out of college. Everything is exhausting now ....cleaning, exercising, climbing stairs. It has been a scary few months and I've now been diagnosed with spondylitis. I can't sit for a long time. My ribs, buttocks, spine and muscles ache and I'm just not the same person anymore.

My advice to new crohnies, get your flu shot, take care of your diet and do your own research. My doctor never warned me of how much worse the flu could make my Crohns. I wish I knew what I know now. Also, it is advised we get the vaccination that is not live due to our wacky immune systems

Best of luck to all!

my little penguin

Staff member
DS has a triple whammy arthritis ,Ibd and asthma -each by themselves is a risk - adding immunosuppressants - he always get the flu shots .

He got the flu once without it and was almost admitted due to the asthma flare it created .
Not bring able to breathe makes the flu shot a must for him

A good message. When I was getting my Tb test ( pre remicade) they asked me if I had gotten the flu shot and told me I was high risk with immunosuppressive drugs plus starting remicade. I hadn't and they went and got it for me right then, didn't even wait in line for the flu clinic ( which was my original intention). Glad I did.