• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Imuran and allergic reaction

Crohn's Mom

Hi all :)

Gab has informed me today that she has been very itchy, and still sweating. Then this afternoon she broke out in a rash on her back, that quickly spread to her arms and neck.
She was at work when it happened,
So she was able to quickly buy some Benadryl to help.

Then she informed me the for the last week + she has been having symptoms of watery/itchy eyes and throat, and a bit short of breath.

She has been taking Imuran for approximately 7 weeks now. (125 mg).
She has just the last week also finally started to taper off of Entocort.

I am thinking that she is having an alleric reaction to the Imuran, and now that she is tapering off of the Entocort it is presenting itself.

Any thoughts?
If she were allergic would it have presented itself before now? Or could I be right in my theory here ?

Thanks in advance for any input! :)

I have no clue, but I know drug allergies can be very bad. I would put in a call to the doctor and mention it. Good luck! I hope everything is ok.

I have no idea on the allergic reaction but just wanted to send hugs and support. My non-ibd daughter had an allergic reaction to something and the crazy child tried to drive the hour and a half home! Her eyes were swelling up and hives all over!

Hope you get to the bottom of it!

Tesscorm

Staff member
I don't know if Entocort could affect an allergic reaction??? but Stephen broke out in hives only hours after having one dose of cipro. But I would definitely check with her doctor. :ghug:

Crohn's Mom

my thinking with the Entocort is that it is a steroid, (even if it is absorbed differently than Prednisone ) and steroids are used to counteract allergic reactions. And, as she tapers the dosage, the more the allergy would present itself?

Make sense ?

Crohn's Mom

She said it helped...
So, IMO it's most definitely an allergic reaction to something ...and my best guess is the Imuran; especially with her recent list of new symptoms since starting it..:/

my little penguin

Staff member
Does she have an allergist ?
Let her Gi know ASAP.
Reactions can go from mild to very bad quickly and Benadryl is purely a comfort measure .
Think stewardess on a crashing plane.
They make the passengers feel better but have no control over whether it crashes or not.
Pred takes about 10 - 14 days to get out of your system from an allergy stand point.
Update us on what the Gi says
Shortness of breathe should be an ER trip per DS's docs .
Again just a mom not a doc

Crohn's Mom

MLP I completely agree with you!
As soon as she answered my question of "Are you short of breath at all?" With yes - my response was to get to the hospital now!

Being almost 20 and thinking she knows everything - she refused and just took Benadryl.

I have very severe reactions to many medications and antibiotics so I am well aware how quickly things could change.

I HATE not being able to just drag her off and make her go to the ER :(

Thank goodness I have you all here ! ❤

Sounds a logical assumption that it's the Imuran causing the symptoms. Has she called her GI to let them know? Glad the Benadryl worked, but the breathing is a worry. Seriously dreading this growing up and not listening to mom stuff ;)

Tesscorm

Staff member
Seriously dreading this growing up and not listening to mom stuff ;)
It sucks!!!!! :ymad: Just adds another layer of frustration to everything! Bad enough trying to deal with the secretaries and nurses before you finally get to the GI... now you have dismissive, cranky teens (includes up to 21!) to navigate!

That saying... 'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing' - they're walking examples!!! I've been reminding my daughter to go for iron tests since Christmas... still hasn't gone!!!

Tracy - hugs... :ghug: :ghug:

Crohn's Mom

Well, hives/rash are still there.
She finally contacted her GI and they td her to stop the Imuran, stay on the Benadryl, and call them again on Monday.
They also said that if her throat starts itching over the weekend then go to the ER.

I wonder if they will try to re-introduce the Imuran after the hives subside ? Maybe at a lower dose ?

Thoughts ?

AZMOM

Oh no!!!!!!! T!!!!!!!! I'd definitely say Imuran. Now the questions is how long the half-life of the medication is now that she's had so many weeks of it. :-(

Keep me posted.

J.

my little penguin

Staff member
Typically at least for DS it took about 3 days by day 5 it was all out of his system.
If her throat is itchy or any trouble breathing call 911
Tell them you need an ambulance with advanced life support and the ability to give epi.
Do not drive . Things can go from bad to worse quickly.

Signs of Anaphylaxis1

Skin: Flushing; itching; hives; swelling; rash; itching of lips, tongue and palate; swelling of lips, tongue and back of throat (uvula); itching around eyes; redness and swelling of eyes; and tearing of eyes.

Respiratory: Itching and tightness of the throat; difficulty swallowing; change in voice; hoarseness; dry cough; harsh high-pitched breathing (stridor); itching in the outer ear canals; shortness of breath; chest tightness; cough and wheezing; itching of the nose; runny nose; congestion; and sneezing.

Gastrointestinal: Nausea; cramping abdominal pain; vomiting; and diarrhea.

Cardiovascular: Decreased blood pressure; feeling faint; fainting; not acting normally; chest pain; and heart rhythm abnormalities.

Other: Uterine cramping in women; and an aura of impending doom.
http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/resourcespre.php?id=149&

Did the Gi at least put her on Benadryl around the clock ?
They may end up putting her on a pred burst to calm her system down .
Hugs

Sorry to hear she has to come off the Imuran. My gut would say no to going onto it again, but then they may be able to give something else at the same time to stop the reaction. Hope everything settles over the weekend!

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Ugh T!! Another thing for Gabs and mom to figure out!!! I hope they get it sorted quickly and, if need be, find her next med quickly enough to avoid any problem. Good grief!:(