• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Imuran and male fertility

This a question to all you guys on Imuran out there. Do you know if it affects male fertility or if has a danger of causing birth defects if your wife gets pregnanat while you are on it? I'm gettimg married soon and I'm worried of this.....

Kev

Hey Mazen... I was told to engage in safe sex only while on Imuran/Aza AND also when I contemplated methotrexate... I don't know about the biologics, but I think it's pretty routine to urge caution when using the other immuno suppressors... as the drugs can pass from partner to partner. I'm not sure if they can pass the placental (sp?) barrier. That's a question for your doctor.

I dunno about imuran, but yeah MTX is very teratogenetic (vocab word of the day meaning it causes birth defects).

From wikipedia:
"Azathioprine is not thought to cause fetal malformation (teratogenesis) and any risk to the offspring of treated women is small.[7] A more recent product monograph produced by Glaxo Smith Kline and dated June 2005 does note that IMURAN can cause fetal harm when given to a pregnant woman. Their document also states that the drug should not be given during pregnancy or in patients of reproductive potential without careful weighing of benefit versus the risks and should be avoided whenever possible in pregnant women."

Basically it seems that Imuran isn't too bad on the male side, but you should ask your doctor anyway if it's a concern.

Kev

Yeah, I knew metho could cause reproductive issues, but I'm past that these days... No, my point was that these drugs can pass from partner to partner in bodily fluids... Now, a person who is knowingly taking Imuran is required to have routine blood tests... to see if its doing any harm. Their partner, who might absorb those same drugs from exchanged fluids, isn't aware nor tested for these harmful side effects. Thats the reason I was given to practice only safe sex... Now, some docs might consider the risk too minimal to urge the precaution... Maybe its best to ask your own dr.

Kev said:
Yeah, I knew metho could cause reproductive issues, but I'm past that these days... No, my point was that these drugs can pass from partner to partner in bodily fluids... Now, a person who is knowingly taking Imuran is required to have routine blood tests... to see if its doing any harm. Their partner, who might absorb those same drugs from exchanged fluids, isn't aware nor tested for these harmful side effects. Thats the reason I was given to practice only safe sex... Now, some docs might consider the risk too minimal to urge the precaution... Maybe its best to ask your own dr.

Hmm, a twisted money saver would be for 2 Crohns patients in a flare to get 2 for the price of one with Remicade, give it to the male, encourage some intercourse, and it's buy one get one free on IBD meds! The insurance companies would approve too!

I know that is putrid, but my mind wanders.

Last edited:
I

Isla

Oh lord a couple both with IBD... hope they live in a place that has more than one bathroom!

I

Isla

Kev said:
Welllllll, I dunno if it applies to the 'biologics'... but if you could convince the little woman to swallow it....
Hhahahahahah OMG there are so many things I would say to this... but think I will just laugh instead.