• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Imuran or 6-MP

Hello all, I need some advice. I see my GI next week and am going to ask if I can try another drug besides Pentasa ( or in addition to). From what I'm reading Imuran or 6-MP are the next low level drugs for treatment? Pentasa has been working but some days just doesn't feel like enough. Is there another drug besides these that I am missing?

Comments appreciated. Thanks.

I am currently trying to decide between 6-MP and Methotrexate (which is also in that middle class of drugs), in addition to the Humira I have been on for a month now. My pharmacist stated to me that 6-MP has a lot more side effects but seems to work well in patients with Crohn's, along with a lot of other illnesses. My new GI much prefers 6-MP over methotrexate, but my PCP, pharmacist, and neurologist have stated that it is a very old and well proven to work drug and it could help with some numbness and tingling I have in places. I have not asked about Imuran since my old GI stated that it would not be a good idea for me and my new GI does not like to use it. I have heard others speak very well of it, though. Sorry that I am of little to no help and I hope that you find what works best for you. Some combos of medications work well for some but don't work for others. I hate that Crohn's is such a game of pick and choose and see if it works.