• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Imuran spread out vs. once daily, question

When I was first put on Imuran I got the instructions confused and took a single 50-mg pill 3 times a day. A few weeks later I realized I was supposed to take all at once and began to take all 150 mg at night.

Maybe it's just my imagination, but I seemed to do better on the 3-a-day regimen. Has anyone else noticed anything like this? Any theories on why it may work better spread out?

hawkeye

Staff member
When I first started I took it all at once, but it wa a lower dose. When I was at 200 mg I started splitting it 100 mg @ breakfast and 100 mg in the evening, now that I have dropped to 150 mg I take 75 mg @ breakfast and 75mg with supper.

Maybe it's a more of a constant dosage - 2 or 3 spikes a day versus one hit. I think my first GI wanted me to take at all at once, but this was a smaller dose - my current GI did not see an issue with splitting the dose up into a twice a day regimin.

If your docs are checking your blood test results regularly then it may be clear for your particular case which of once daily or split dose is better from a therapeutic perspective.
In the full blood count blood test there is something called 'mcv' (mean corpuscular volume) which is well correlated to 6-tgn levels. The higher your mcv, the higher your 6tgn probably is and therefore the more effective the treatment probably is.
This is what I've been told by my docs and also what I've read.... But of course we are all different so it's always best to ask a doc to make sure before you implement any changes.

rygon

My thoughts are that as it takes approx 2wks to start working i guess that splitting it does no difference as it can spike that much. No idea if its true but as im the worst for remembering to take drugs its normally all at bed time

My thoughts are that as it takes approx 2wks to start working i guess that splitting it does no difference as it can spike that much. No idea if its true but as im the worst for remembering to take drugs its normally all at bed time
I think it takes about 2 months to start working

I remember reading that splitting the dose may decrease the negative effects in people who are sensitive to it while keeping the positive/intended effects, I can't remember where though :/ I decided to split mine for that reason.